Funnel

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from gketell

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
I tried my first platter. Right away it didn't go right. The outside ended up being a shallow bowl rather than the platter I wanted. But at least the outside and foot were turning out nice.

attachment.php

attachment.php

9-5/8" x 1-1/2" with a 3-1/2" foot. Needed more sanding but was looking pretty good.

Then I moved to the inside. I was having a tough time and kept going back to smooth out the cuts. It ended up more "pie pan" shaped than shallow bowl.
attachment.php

So what happens when inside shape doesn't match outside shape? "Oh pooooo":
attachment.php

And one more just to show off the gorgeous wood I wasted.
attachment.php

So now I have my first "funnel". I'm sure it won't be my last. :rolleyes::eek::frown:

Attachments

• Platter-1.jpg
    Platter-1.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 536
  • Platter-2.jpg
    Platter-2.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 527
  • Platter-3.jpg
    Platter-3.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 513
  • Platter-4.jpg
    Platter-4.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 536
  • Platter-5.jpg
    Platter-5.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 537
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

greggas

Greg do what i do when this happens...turn off the bottom, add a piece of mirror and place a price tag on it at about $50 ( if you do shows) and it will sell at some point.

Fred

Sand the ring on out and glue in a piece of contrasting wood. Then re-turn the bottom. This time stop short of going all the way through it ... again!

Sorry to see you have this problem, but sooner or later I think we all do it.

Pretty wood BTW and should be a nice looking "funnel."

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
I've been doing this more lately then I did previously in total! I've been trying to turn really thin lately and that is a real challenge.

TurnerJohn74

I seem to have a lot of different size funnels laying around the shop.So don't feel bad. It looks like you had a nice piece going for you.

nava1uni

I did the same thing over last weekend, but mine was a very nice bowl that was quickly turned into a funnel. Do a few more and you can give them as a set for the holidays. LOL
Nice wood, what is it?

JimB

Greg - I turned my first and only platter/plate in a turning class. Since we wanted it very 'flat' and not bowl-like we did not turn a foot on the bottom. Instead, when we turned it around, we used double sided turners tape and a faceplate to mount it back on the lathe. This also allows for the bottom of the plate to be almost the same size as the top.

The one I made looks like a dinner plate in size and shape.

BigguyZ

I would say it's a high end flying ring, or whatever they call the toys that aren't a full frisbee...

But I agree that you can turn this into a laminated bowl- either by adding a piece between the pieces you have or just separating them entirely to become a part of two other projects.

Top Bottom