Question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from JCochrun

JCochrun

I don't have a photo because I'm having problems making one. Does anyone make kaleidoscope eggs? I've been working on it all day and I can't get it to work for me. I've tried using a template and duplicator with no luck (eggs keep ending up too short for the kit no matter how long the wood is to begin with). I've tried to do it free hand but the eggs still don't come out right. There are lots of gaps around the ends of the kit where it meets the wood. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Jim

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

I don't have a photo because I'm having problems making one. Does anyone make kaleidoscope eggs? I've been working on it all day and I can't get it to work for me. I've tried using a template and duplicator with no luck (eggs keep ending up too short for the kit no matter how long the wood is to begin with). I've tried to do it free hand but the eggs still don't come out right. There are lots of gaps around the ends of the kit where it meets the wood. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Jim

There is a tutorial on one of the turning sites and I would have to do some looking but if you try a true turning site you will find them. There are jigs you can make just like for a ball. Most people make a template like you do for spindle work and keep referring to that. I will look for the info if I have some time.

pyurgal

I have made a couple of them and you need to be exact with the length of blank you are using. I am using the kits supplied from WoodCraft. I had one blank that was 1/16" too short and the internals did not fit properly. I ended up adding a piece of lead wire that I use for fly tying to the threaded end to make up the difference. It worked out ok. You cannot even tell it is there.

The instructions say:
1. Cutting Blanks
[FONT=Swis721 BT,Swis721 BT][FONT=Swis721 BT,Swis721 BT]Cut a blank to a minimum of 2" x 2" x 2 [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Swis721 BT,Swis721 BT][FONT=Swis721 BT,Swis721 BT]3[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Swis721 BT,Swis721 BT][FONT=Swis721 BT,Swis721 BT]/[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Swis721 BT,Swis721 BT][FONT=Swis721 BT,Swis721 BT]8[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Swis721 BT,Swis721 BT][FONT=Swis721 BT,Swis721 BT]".
[/FONT]
[/FONT]2. Drilling Blanks
[FONT=Swis721 BT,Swis721 BT][FONT=Swis721 BT,Swis721 BT]Using a [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Swis721 BT,Swis721 BT][FONT=Swis721 BT,Swis721 BT]1 3[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Swis721 BT,Swis721 BT][FONT=Swis721 BT,Swis721 BT]/[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Swis721 BT,Swis721 BT][FONT=Swis721 BT,Swis721 BT]16[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Swis721 BT,Swis721 BT][FONT=Swis721 BT,Swis721 BT]" brad point bit drill a hole lengthwise through the center of the blank. Once the hole is drilled, cut the blank to exactly 2 [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Swis721 BT,Swis721 BT][FONT=Swis721 BT,Swis721 BT]1[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Swis721 BT,Swis721 BT][FONT=Swis721 BT,Swis721 BT]/[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Swis721 BT,Swis721 BT][FONT=Swis721 BT,Swis721 BT]4[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Swis721 BT,Swis721 BT][FONT=Swis721 BT,Swis721 BT]" long. [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Swis721 BT,Swis721 BT][FONT=Swis721 BT,Swis721 BT][/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Swis721 BT,Swis721 BT][FONT=Swis721 BT,Swis721 BT]When they say 2 1/4" long they mean it.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Swis721 BT,Swis721 BT][FONT=Swis721 BT,Swis721 BT][/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Swis721 BT,Swis721 BT][FONT=Swis721 BT,Swis721 BT]Paul
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

ttpenman

I agree with the post about being VERY careful with the size. I used to made quite a few and the biggest problem I had was the bushings and drilling the hole. The two didn't match very well and I ended up grinding a spade bit to fit the bushings. That helped but the length is still important. You can screw the ends and tube together and measure them with them screwed in all the way and with the threads just catching. You need a blank length that is within that range. Just a bit shorter than the longer measurement. (hope that makes sense)

I finally quite making the egg ones and went to the oil wand style and found they were much easier to make. Plus you don't have to use 8/4 stock.

Jeff in northern Wisconsin

KenBrasier

I've made a lot of the egg Kaleidoscopes (eggoscope) from PSI. The kit says the blank should be 2 1/4" (2.250") and although the brass tube with ends will tighten down to 2.22" I find that I'm better served to cut the blanks about 2 5/16" or even as long as 2 3/8", you can always sand the ends a little to shorten for fit.

As for turning them egg shaped, I probably only make 1 in 10 that way as my customers seem to prefer free form shapes over the egg. My best sellers are actually shaped like a barrel and I put 4 narrow rings with a parting tool and burn the groves with a thin scrap of wood, to look like the metal rings on a keg.

That being said, I now make mostly the wand type Kaleidoscopes because they sell about 8 to 1 over the eggs, cost the same to make and are easier to assemble.

Top Bottom