Fun Story about an old rod and some wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Krash

Here's a fun story.

12 years ago, I was on a Boy Scout campout with my middle son getting ready for out 12 day outing at Philmont ranch. We parked at the Santa Fe ski area and hiked in 7 miles to Spirit Lake which is at 10,300 ft. New Mexico was in the middle of a drought so the lake was receded about 25 feet. We were looking around, jumping from log to log, when I saw a fishing rod sticking out of the mud. I pulled it out and cleaned it up. It was about 5' long and did not have a handle. I figured some poor guy lost it while casting. As I looked at it, it seemed to have multiple joints in it so I pulled it apart and it broke up into 6" sections. Maybe it was a backpacking rod.

attachment.php

The only marking was the Passport logo. I went home and looked it up and it was from the 50's sold by Abercrombie and Fitch, made by Phillips. Looking further, the sites say there were only 100 made and complete sets go for $300-$700. Cool. I just stuck it in a drawer and forgot it.
Fast forward about 10 years, 2 years ago I found it again and decided to investigate. I created a logon to a fly fishing site and posted it. I got a couple of responses, like some collector was going to want it and put it on mebay. Didn't do it. Back into the drawer.
So, just last week, a guy emails me out of the blue and asks if I still have it. He had bought one at an antique store in Pennsylvania to use fishing the small streams in his area but found that the section with the Passport logo had been repaired and was questioning its stability. He went out looking for parts and found me ... because there aren't any anyplace else. All the known survivors are complete sets in someone's collection.

He asks how much I want for it and, me being weird and all, I said I didn't want money but asked if he wanted to barter. I asked if he was a woodworker and said I was interested in some bowl turning stock. He said he wasn't but he had done some. I said I was interested in some PA local wood maybe 12x12x5. He was totally down with finding some wood for me and has been scouting around his area amongst the multiple mills looking for something special. I am just so glad that I found someone that wants to actually use this rod instead of hanging it on a wall. I keep telling him not go overboard and spend too much because it's just a little fishing rod. Here's one chunk he got from a coworker's father.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Spalted maple maybe??

This guy is so excited to be visiting all these wood places and finding some nice wood that it has been a blast just communicating with him. I consider the rod his now and almost could care less what he sends me because of the relationship. He even wants to be my PA wood connection!

I love interfacing with people from other areas and becoming friends even though we've never laid eyes on each other, like George and Ed. It makes this hobby so much richer.

I'll keep you posted on whatever he sends. I can't wait!

Attachments

• passport.jpg
    passport.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 382
  • wood1.jpg
    wood1.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 374
  • wood2.jpg
    wood2.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 386
  • wood3.jpg
    wood3.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 373
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Krash

Here is the other piece of wood he is sending me. It is from a 100 year old Copper Beech tree, 4' at the base, that died and was felled in Downington, Pennsylvania. This chunk is 22x10x6. I am super excited to turn some of this!

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• copper_beech_1.jpg
    copper_beech_1.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 208
  • copper_beech_2.jpg
    copper_beech_2.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 241

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
That's a gorgeous chunk of wood. Can't wait to see what you make from it.
What a deal - made a new friend & scored some great wood. Life is good! :)

MarkD

Interesting story but I'm not real happy with all this Pennsylvania wood going to Albuquerque :mad::biggrin:

Krash

Interesting story but I'm not real happy with all this Pennsylvania wood going to Albuquerque :mad::biggrin:

Hey now ....

I say share the wealth .... which you PA guys are awash with! I'd be happy to send you a pound of prime NM sand! :biggrin:

Krash

Absolutely Ed!

This guy is an attorney so my plan is to maybe take that lobe off of the lower left side of picture #2 and make him a pen also. There's some nice chatoyance there!

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member

Absolutely Ed!

This guy is an attorney so my plan is to maybe take that lobe off of the lower left side of picture #2 and make him a pen also. There's some nice chatoyance there!

If you do, I bet you'll wind up with a permanent pipeline for wood from PA to NM. :wink:

Top Bottom