fumes and respirators

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

fshenkin94

Should I be worried about the fumes from ca glue, paint thinner, etc. I turn and do woodworking as a hobby and probably spend a few hours a week in the shop. I am getting a little concerned about the various fumes and have been debating purchasing a respirator. Any thoughts out there?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
Lots of thoughts out there for sure - fans to blow the fumes away; good DC systems; beyond that:

For those that have minor problems (allergies) with CA fumes and CA dust, they use a white or blue doctors type of face masks
For those of us with more severe allergies (or even without allergies but just want more protection) we use a filtered respirators.
I have a dual filter respirator (and use a face shield with it) and also a Triton powered respirator. For quick 10 minute turnings, CA applications and CA sandings, I use the dual respirator; for two or three hours work, I put on the Triton. Trend has one similar to the Triton. Both are effective.

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
I would highly recommend using at least a filtered respirator when doing CA. I've been turning pens for just over 1 year and the CA fumes didn't bother me at first. Now if I catch one whiff my sinuses slam shut and I can't breath through my nose for days.

Last night, for the first time in my life, I had a spontaneous nose bleed. Except it wasn't bleeding from the nose but from the sinuses above the nose. It took over an hour to stop bleeding. I have no idea what set it caused it but I'm sure that it wouldn't have happened had I not abused myself by inhaling noxious fumes and fine dusts for the past year.

GK

CrazyBear

Spend the bucks and get something like the trend Airshield.It protects your sinuses,lungs and Face(From flying objects) I bought one recently and I am amazed at the difference.Do yourself a favour and spring for one of these types of masks

edstreet

Short answer, YES. See my post on respirators, the P100 filter I use cuts everything, 0 smells in the workshop. Cuts paint fumes, filters allergens, mold, lead, asbestos, furniture strippers, epoxy/glues, acrylics, wood dust, you name it it will filter it, including formaldehyde.

Rule of thumb, when in doubt done the respirator, when not in doubt done the respirator.

Ed

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
I woke up thinking about this. If you watch the crime investigation shows these days one of the common things to see is them putting cloth of some sort into a fume hood and heating CA to make the fumes and the fumes glue the "items of interest" (like fingerprints) to the material so they can then manipulate the item without damaging it.

If the fumes glue things together, do you really want to be breathing them?

I'm wearing my mask much more often from now on!!
GK
ps the "off the shelf" dual canister masks from Home depot and Orchard supply do filter fumes. Just get the one that says "dust and fumes", not the one that says "dust".

GK

Aderhammer

I always wear a face sheild and dual canister p100 respirator. There's something about ca and acrylic that bothers my eyes. I've almost passed out a few times working with both. Also keep glues off your hands. Epoxy and Ca are both nasty. You can develop permanent allergies to both. Plus the hardener from epoxy alone can cause chemical burns on your skin!

edstreet

VAPOR EFFECTS:

EYES: Alkyl cyanoacrylate vapors are lachrymatory (tear producing) and can cause eye irritation and tearing in poorly ventilated areas.

MUCOUS MEMBRANES: Mucous surfaces can become irritated by prolonged exposure to cyanoacrylate vapors in poorly ventilated areas. Vapor irritation to the eyes and mucous membranes will be most noticeable under conditions of low relative humidity.

VAPOR CONTROL RECOMMENDATIONS:

* Use adequate ventilation. Remove adhesive vapors with suitable exhaust ducting. Since cyanoacrylate vapors are heavier than air, place exhaust intake below work area. Activated charcoal filters using an acidic charcoal have been found effective in removing vapors from effluent air.

* Avoid use of excess adhesive. Excess adhesive outside of bond area will increase level of vapors.

* Assemble parts as quickly as possible. Long open times will increase level of vapors.

VII. PRECAUTIONS FOR SAFE HANDLING AND USE:
Health hazard rating is 2, Slightly hazardous. Fire hazard is 2, Flash point above 100 ° F not exceeding 200. Reactivity rating is 1, Unstable if heated.

Provide adequate ventilation in area of usage. When possible this should be achieved by the use of local exhaust ventilation and good general ventilation. Vapors are heavier than air, therefore, downward ventilation should be used. When handling cyanoacrylate adhesives, goggles or safety glasses should always be worn. Polyethylene gloves should be used to protect the hands. CAUTION: Do not use rubber or cloth gloves. Rubber gloves will bond when brought in contact with the adhesive and porous cotton gloves will absorb the adhesive and bond the gloves to the skin.

Other: Respiratory protection is not normally necessary unless product is used in enclosed area of poor ventilation or individual has a history of chronic respiratory disease. Local exhaust is recommended.

Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom