FSU color mica and/or dye

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

NJturner

I've been asked to make some blanks for a good friend whose daughter is graduating from Florida State University. He wants to make a nice pen set for her as a present. I'm trying my best to get a blank that is true to the FSU colors - Garnet and Gold. The gold is not super difficult, but getting a red that is the right tone for the garnet color is problematic. I ordered some mica from PTownSubbie - Premium Chroma Pearl Ruby Red and some Wine color mica and I am waiting for them to arrive to see if they are going to work. I use alumilite clear slow for the pour. I am thinking there must be someone here who has had the same color request in the past. Any suggestions?

Also wondering if I need to add some base color to the resin, like a white, to cut the transparency of the blank, as my friend is a component pen builder and will be using a brass tube. I suggested painting the hole in the blank to him, to hide things, but am also concerned this will throw off the color match.

Thank you all in advance!

Kevin

JohnU

In my experience, red is the hardest color to get right. If you're using mica's I've found mixing dyes with them is a good way to "tweak" the colors. I usually use the alumilite transparent red dye with the eye candy red micas. They have a large selection of red based micas. I would suggest starting with a little of each and pouring some sample colors, keeping notes so you can reproduce your results on a larger scale once you find the one that works.

NJturner

Thank you John and Fred! I agree with you - red is pretty tough, and it's affected by a lot of things when casting, so I have already warned my friend that this will be 'close but maybe no cigar'. I've got some colors coming from Divine and from Eye Candy - and I ordered some extra Alumilite since they are having a St. Patty's day sale so I can take a bunch of shots at this! I will let my friend pick his favorite and make something else from the rest.

I just purchased a new pressure pot from California Air so I can increase the length of my casting from blocks to bespoke 8.5" without worrying about the lid hitting the tubes, so I have some new issues with pouring, blending, etc so the project will be a fun experiment!

Top Bottom