Fountain pen question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Got a quick Q for you fountain pen folk: Are the pumps and prefilled cartridges interchangeable from pen to pen? I'm working on an order for a new customer who wants 10 fountain pens (and a bunch of others - lucky me). The fountain pen component sets I got came with neither a cartridge nor a pump. So can I just go out and buy any old pump or cartridge?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ebrown7780

I will try to help even though I am a Clemson fan....... I have sold many fountain pens and never had an issue with the pump or cartridge not fitting up.

Go Tigers!!

bmachin

Hi Ted,

A couple of years ago my son made a few Woodcraft El Grande's for some friends. When we tried "upgrading" the converters with Schmidt K5's we found that they were a little bit too long for that kit.

Probably an anomaly but it would pay to measure before you send them out.

Hope this helps.

Bill

duncsuss

"Universal Cartridges" are virtually guaranteed to fit all kit fountain pens.

Where you might run into trouble is with Converters -- there have been documented instances where:

(1) the end of the piston catches in the barrel end piece,

(2) the converter doesn't fit through the press-in coupler that the nib section screws into.

You can check #2 before building the pen -- just see that the converter slides through the coupler. For #1, you have to build the pen lower barrel before you can test it.

More4dan

If you are building kitless then design your pen for the converter you want to use. The Schmidt K5's would be a good choice IMO. If the K5 fits in your pen design then the universal cartridges should also fit.

If using Pen kits, then you gotta check. Problems on both ends of the converter as well as overall diameter fitting through treads. If you are planning to use a particular kit, ask which converters will fit that kit and you may get more direct answers.

Danny

Thanks, gang. Appreciate the input. These are Ravens from LazerLinez. Love this kit. Makes a pen that just screams "quality"!!! And, personally, I don't care for bling so these guys are perfect. I'll post some pics as we go on.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
The Monteverde convertor sold by Exotic blanks is smaller in Diameter than the K5 Schmidt convertors. They sell both. If you measure the ID of the hole the convertor has to fit through. .312 5/16 /8mm will let a Schmidt through.
The K5 I have in hand is .308 diameter and the Monteverde is .296

Top Bottom