For the vendors...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

08K.80

Do you have a business license or required to have one for internet sales?

If you don't care to discuss this openly, I understand.
You can PM me if you can give the details.

Thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
It is going to depend on your state. In Texas, there is no such thing as a business license. You can incorporate as an LLC or a true corporation or you can be a sole proprietor. You can file a DBA or not, that is your choice.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam

Thanks!
You will have to check your State Law. In most states, if you intend to file with a Federal 1040 Schedule C business, you will need a state license. They are usually not difficult to obtain but there typically is a cost.

penmaker1967

i just had to get a state tax id is all that i had to do to use my expenses on my taxes and it did not cost anything but that is in nc

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam

Thanks!
You will have to check your State Law. In most states, if you intend to file with a Federal 1040 Schedule C business, you will need a state license. They are usually not difficult to obtain but there typically is a cost.
You might also need a DBA - in my state that's included with the license. In NY I think I needed a DBA but no license.

Also by way of warning...if you accept checks and have a DBA some banks will require that you get a checking account in the DBA name.

kovalcik

In NH, you can do business under your own name without doing anything. If you use any type of business name, you have to register with the state.

So John Smith, Penmaker is okay
John Smith's Pens Needs to be registered.

in Louisiana I can work under my primary business name as a DBA, but a checking account make the tax people more comfortable. such as *.*.* DBA pen maker. being a sole owner I file as part of my personal taxes. Keep in mind the to be I legitimate business you be able to pass the red face test with an auditor describing your business and how you intend to eventually make a profit or it is considered a hobby. Hobbes we pay for and should not expect to be able to write off all the expenses. ps I am not an accountant this is what my CPA explained to me for my state.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
in Louisiana I can work under my primary business name as a DBA, but a checking account make the tax people more comfortable. such as *.*.* DBA pen maker. being a sole owner I file as part of my personal taxes. Keep in mind the to be I legitimate business you be able to pass the red face test with an auditor describing your business and how you intend to eventually make a profit or it is considered a hobby. Hobbes we pay for and should not expect to be able to write off all the expenses. ps I am not an accountant this is what my CPA explained to me for my state.
Having a business license or not makes no difference at all in Federal Income Taxes - that's a whole nuther ball game.

08K.80

Thank you for the information, I will have to check with the state.

I'm not looking to sell or at least not in volume or even through a website at this time. I've just been asked for a business license after inquiring about different products.:confused:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
More than likely, if you are enquiring about buying raw materials, they want your state sales tax ID number. This is widely accepted as your "license" to resell.

08K.80

More than likely, if you are enquiring about buying raw materials, they want your state sales tax ID number. This is widely accepted as your "license" to resell.

Thanks Ed,
But I wouldn't consider most of the products as raw material. Most of it is just common items that I can't find locally and thought would make some things a little easier or try to incorporate into a pen.
I don't want to resell either--- I just want it for personal use.

08K.80

If you want it for personal use, why would you ask about a BUSINESS license---sorry, I'm lost---
Ed

Because they are asking me for my business license. I don't have one and was curious about why it would be necessary.

They also ask for a website. I can give them that, but it's just used as a gallery, not for selling.

Maybe I'm lost.:redface:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
The only way, that I can think of, that makes this makes sense is if they are trying to make you a "business" to avoid consumer protection laws.

As an individual, some laws apply that will not apply to business-to-business.

BE CAREFUL--there is SOME reason they want you to be a business---
FWIW,
Ed

08K.80

The only way, that I can think of, that makes this makes sense is if they are trying to make you a "business" to avoid consumer protection laws.

FWIW,
Ed

Thank you, Ed!

I will avoid these companies and move on if asked about it by another one.:wink: Better safe...

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Thank you for the information, I will have to check with the state.

I'm not looking to sell or at least not in volume or even through a website at this time. I've just been asked for a business license after inquiring about different products.:confused:

I think to get listed as a Reseller PSI asked for a business license.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam

FWIW,
Ed
Some companies if you are trying to buy wholesale seem toask for a business license. Sometimes it seems to me, if your email address looks like a business email they will also. I've had it happen once or twice, and usually if I go back with one of my other email addresses they don't.

Top Bottom