Food and Wine - a great combination

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from micharms

micharms

My son and his fianceé are great chefs. He requested an endgrain cutting board for their kitchen and also a wine rack fir their rec room. These are what I spent my time before Christmas building.

I had never made anything endgrain before and enjoyed the challenge. If I was ever going to make another I would try and make a deal with a cabinet company to do the initial surface sanding.

Your comments and critiques are welcomed.

Michael

Attachments

• IMG_5258.jpg
    IMG_5258.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG_5274.jpg
    IMG_5274.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_5293.jpg
    IMG_5293.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 199
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jskeen

Hey, I feel for you trying to sand down endgrain. I gave that up a long time ago and just use a router mounted above a flat surface to cut the board down to a uniform height, and then sand it smooth. Only other way to do it easy is with a 36g wide belt sander, and those cost!

Last edited:

alphageek

Former Moderator
Hey, I feel for you trying to sand down endgrain. I gave that up a long time ago and just use a router mounted above a flat surface to cut the board down to a uniform height, and then sand it smooth. Only other way to do it easy is with a 36g wide belt sander, and those cost!

OK... I'm still learning here.. I know that endgrain is a different beast, but can someone help me understand how a router would be a better solution than my thickness planer for initial sizing? I assume it has to do with tearout of the end grain.. If thats the case, what kind of bit should be used in the router.

For the OP...Fabulous looking - both pieces... If my MIL were to see the wine rack, she'd want one just like it.

micharms

Thanks for all the comments and no problem Keith we can work out the financial arrangements:biggrin:.

YouTube can at times be a wonderful source of information and instruction.

Dean-as I understand it the problem with the thickness planer is that it will likely cause the glue up to explode launching wood missiles all over the place. I was tempted to go against the advice given but chickened out due to the amount of time already invested and the nice wood. I also felt that I would probably cry if that happened and no one wants to see that. So instead I spent a whole day in my unheated garage in November sanding the beast.

the disappointing thing about the wine rack was that they decided to have me make it out of some butternut that I'd had in the garage for years. I was glad to use it but cautioned them that it was a soft hardwood. A few days after they got into the Rec room in place the cover on the heating vent directly over it fell off and put a nice ding in it:eek:. I think he'll be looking into a piece of plate glass to protect the top pretty soon.

Michael

Top Bottom