Follow up question to CAV's Air Cleaner

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
So as to not hijack Cav's thread, I have another question on the air cleaners..

My shop is also a 12x24 and the back wall sits facing a wooded area. My closest neighbor is behind and above me on the hill maybe about 2000 yards or more away so dust from the shop shouldn't affect them any.

I run a DC and have it connected to all my major tools, BS, Lathes, TS... the chop saw and planer I usually take outside anyway.. it's good to live in the country.

I've been thinking I needed an exhaust fan installed in the back wall to change the air and blow any floating dust out.. if I put one in, it would be in the peak of the wall that is just above the lathes and hopefully should catch any dust that the DC doesn't..

For those more knowledgeable than me, what are you thoughts on this idea??

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Daniel

If you are going to vent to the outside, why not just vent the dust collector to the outside? To clean the air in the shop just open multiple ports spread out around the shop as much as possible. Warning actually measure the amps your DC is pulling with ports open so you do not burn up the motor. this will create an air exchange in the shop with multiple rivers of air. in order to help stir the air even more you could place a box fan in the shop to run at the same time. a good DC will move 1000 cfm of air. basically every drop of air in your shop in just over 2 minutes. Of course it is not that efficient and is more like taking a glass of cool aid and running fresh water in it. the water continues to be stained with the cool aid color for quite a while eventually turnign to clear. I can remove smoke from my shop with my DC this way in less than 5 minutes DAMHIKT.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Sounds good to me, Chuck. Now if you can just get Tennessee to repeal winter..... :wink::biggrin::wink:

Seriously, that would seem to be a good idea to me in the spring and early fall. When I have my air conditioner going in the summer and the heater on during these Pennsylvania winters I would not want to use this option.

BTW, hijack any of my threads anytime. I enjoy other people's input and occasionally this old dog picks up a new trick.

Cav,
Winter's not really really bad here.. we'll get a few cold days and a little snow once in a while... I'm sure nothing like PA... winter was a lot easier in Houston.

I do okay out there until my feet get cold, this I head for the house. I usually can get in 3 or 4 hours before I can't handle any more.

Daniel,
I actually do vent the DC out doors.. in theory anyway... my DC is in a little closet on the outside of my shop with the vent hose through the wall. I've run it with a few of the vents open, but I still have a layer of dust all over everything in the shop. Part of that maybe that I work with the doors and windows open in the summer and I'm probably only getting a stream of air from the them through the DC. My DC is a HF 2 hp motor that said it was rated at 1600 cfm..

mywoodshopca

Charlottetown, PEI Canada, Derby Kansas and Canyon
I have the king canada air cleaner..

http://www.kingcanada.com/Products.htm?CD=18&ID=72

What a difference the first time I plugged it in.. It actually made the air breathable..

I went from a 12x22 garage and just moved to a 12x40 sectioned off room in the basement and never set it up yet (waiting until my shoulder heals) and used my TS for about 2 minutes today.. Lets just say I miss the fresh air..

Its great with the timer, I can set it to clean for 2 hrs after I leave, etc..

A worthwhile investment..

I will be building another using a squirrel cage and filters built into a moveable cart sometime in the near future.. You can never have the air clean enough or have enough carts :)

Top Bottom