Foil and epoxy. Bad material, but nice idea.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Alejanders

One person from out knife makers forum made intersting casting.
Aluminium foil in epoxy resin with a toner for laser printer.
He made knife scales.

There is an example:
4838081.jpg

4838083.jpg

Toner gives translucency and rumple aluminium foil gives interesting patten.

I have no pressure pot, so ordered blank for pen.

First, it was very hard to turn it material very hard and splits - aluminium foil have very little adhesion to epoxy.

I have spent four hour to turn and grind it.

After, i have spent two hours more to polish it, but anyway scratches was visible.

I have used [FONT=Verdana, Arial][FONT=Verdana, Arial]150-240-320-400-600-1000-steel wool sandpaper[/FONT][/FONT].
[FONT=Verdana, Arial][FONT=Verdana, Arial]Micro Mesh (1500-1800-2400-3200-3600-4000- 6000-8000-12000).[/FONT][/FONT]
PPP wax.
Shellawax.
Epoxy and wood shavings.

And after half day and a lot of profanity I has reached surface about to shiny with few scratches.

And with a final cut for centerband (It was designer pen kit) large piece felt off...

Also translucency been less, then I ordered (or tubes should be painted).
There is a result.
4876546.jpg

4876548.jpg

Maybe you will interest with this idea. But use suitable resin and filling.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Alejanders

So, that is not yet-another-wonderful-idea :)

By the way, I am impressed with creativity of penturners. You are much more creative then knife makers. :)

leehljp

Member Liaison
On delicate blanks and segments, I knock the square edges off with a scraper, taking little bites until round, then sand the blank down with a very course sandpaper. It takes longer but there is less separation. When I get to about 2 to 3 mm from the size, I go to fine SP. when about .5 mm, I use my scraper at high speed on the lathe and do "touch" turning. About every minute, I hone the scraper and keep the edge clean and fresh sharp.

It takes time for sure, but less blowouts and separations.

On one pen blank that was very delicate, I used a technique that I got from Eagle - a fellow known for introducing different techniques here. I wrapped the whole blank in small string and CA'd the string. I turned down about half the blank at a time and wrapped it (the turned section) again and CA'd that and turned the other end down, then wrapped that. Then taking light bites, turned the whole blank.

Top Bottom