Flea-bay score and a question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
I got a job lot collection of test and dial indicators off flea-bay the other day.
Some are non-working junk ( which I knew beforehand ) and a couple of nice ones that appear to work just fine. There's one perfect Japanese Mitutoyo TDI and several others British makes like John Bull, Mercer, Oldak and a Verdict TDI, as well as a couple bases and spare dovetail clamps.
There is a strange one that I don't even know if it works or not. I have no idea what it would be used for.
It's the tall one of course. It has three buttons on the base of the 12'' stand. I think the middle button is stuck in. But I'm hoping someone can shed some light, before I try and 'unstick' it.

Also, what can I use to clean them up? I may just practice cleaning the buggered ones with Isopropanol, but don't want to ruin the good ones.:eek:

Not a bad haul for only £25....and the seller even packed them in an old toolbox that I'll keep...:biggrin:

Edit in; After using Google, it appears that the tall one is a 'Bore Comparitor'.......??

Attachments

• WP_20170416_12_47_47_Pro.jpg
    WP_20170416_12_47_47_Pro.jpg
    217.7 KB · Views: 280
  • WP_20170416_12_48_11_Pro.jpg
    WP_20170416_12_48_11_Pro.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 204
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

stonepecker

break cleaning fluid? or maybe while gas?
I have never cleaned anything like this. However, when cleaning items off for my work the fact that residue evaporates when done, seems to make things right for me.

nice find Skip.

hippi

i think that long one is for a cylinder to check for in round or not and to get to the right size
that is quit the hall

Curly

Nice find. Be very careful on what you try to clean the lenses with. Solvent based ones will melt them. Start with dish soap and water and a damp cotton swab and work up from there. Taking the lens off on some is a real challenge so try to clean in place. If you have to you can polish them by carefully buffing, same as a pen. If you take the backs off to lubricate them the oil you use has to be something that does't dry or get gummy. Got any sperm whale oil around? Apply it sparingly. Long Island Indicator has a bit of information tucked in it and if you need to you can get parts etc. from them.

The dial bore gauge you have, if it worked like the Mitutoyo versions I worked with have the two side pegs spring loaded to centre the gauge in the hole and the centre one takes the reading. The dial indicator can be removed and used like the others in the picture if you have no need for measuring holes. You need a ring gauge to properly set one up to use but you can get away with a micrometer or gauge blocks and jaw set.

I think I have a few different tips for the Mitutoyo indicator squirrelled away somewhere. If I can find them I can send you any that I have a duplicate or triplicate of. They will be longer, shorter or gave a different ball tip diameter. Indicators are only read correctly with one tip size and extending straight out from the indicator, otherwise cosine errors and tip length throw off the reading. They are great for centring shafts and holes etc., or measuring with a hight stand.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Thanks gents. :wink:

Pete, thanks for your input and kind offer too. But I have more indicators now than I'll ever use. Like many home shops, they'll just sit around in strategic places and make my man cave look more professional than it is...:biggrin: Aaargh aaargh !!:)

I think I'll leave the Mitutoyo TDI as it is for now as it seems fine. I'll use it exclusively for resetting my rotary table on my mill bed.
The best of the rest will each get their own dedicated mag-stand for different uses. The attachments and dovetail clamps from the others will keep me in supply long after I kick the bucket. :biggrin:

Now all I need is time to play in my toybox......been on leave for the last 10 days and haven't been anywhere near it.............:redface:
Besides normal UK work, I also have work trips booked in for Switzerland, Channel Islands and even the Falklands ( for over a month )

...........and the Honey-Do list ain't getting any shorter either...:rolleyes: Where does all the time go????:confused:

I took my wife with me to the MoD Security clearance place in Southampton to pick up all my passes ( for the Falklands ) and we spent some time at the Historic Dockyard where HMS Victory and several other cool ships and stuff are. Stupidly expensive to get in, but very interesting all the same...

Curly

No sweat. One thing you can do with one of your dial gauges if it has a travel of half an inch or more is to make a dial depth gauge. Simple to make, even for you, ;) and very handy. If any of the indicators read out rather than inward, even better.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
FYI....half an inch is 13mm in your world :wink::biggrin:

That's all I can help with, cuz all the rest of this thread may as well be written in Greek :redface: Have a great evening/morning/afternoon:question::biggrin:

frank123

As far as the mechanism, I'd suggest acetone with a bit of ATF mixed in with it.

The the mixture cleans well and the acetone evaporates leaving a very thin film of ATF behind which lubricates precision fit parts very well.

For the lens and dial face, I'd think nothing more than soapy water or isopropyl alcohol solution should be used to avoid the potential of solvent damage.

Magicbob

for the stuck or sticking ones I would recommend finding an old fashion watch repair man. The jeweled movements inside are very similar to a watch, he can disassemble, clean, lube and reassemble them for years more life.

Top Bottom