Five Intersecting Tetrahedrons

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from devowoodworking

I thought I'd show a recent puzzle I finished up using my 'Beall Wizard' to accomplish the 'Hexagonal Twists' of the dowels... :cool:

The puzzle is obviously getting it assembled, much more difficult than it would appear, lol!

It consists of 30 dowels, 60 rare earth magnets and 20 chrome balls...if anyone is interested in making one of these, send me a pm and I'll give you the particulars needed from a 'math' perspective :wink:

Woods used are:

Amboyna Burl
Desert Ironwood
New Mallee Burl
Spalted Myrtle
Afzelia Burl

Attachments

• HexTwist.JPG
    HexTwist.JPG
    163.2 KB · Views: 307
  • HexTwist2.JPG
    HexTwist2.JPG
    184.6 KB · Views: 263
  • HexTwist3.JPG
    HexTwist3.JPG
    191.1 KB · Views: 285
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

juteck

Really cool! I expect you probably have an hour or two in making this :rolleyes:. Nice use for the rare earth magnets, and another good use for the Beall. The twist adds to the complexity.

Skye

I thought this was the one with the cocobolo in it. Have you been looking around the kids toy section of walmart? That thing is cool man, defiantly a form of a puzzle I hadn't thought of yet.

I thought this was the one with the cocobolo in it. Have you been looking around the kids toy section of walmart? That thing is cool man, defiantly a form of a puzzle I hadn't thought of yet.

No...the cocobolo 'reaction' was from some pen boxes I made :frown:

Funny you should mention Walmart, because these can also be made from pencils... :biggrin:

Attachments

• tyedye.JPG
    tyedye.JPG
    196.6 KB · Views: 194
  • pmmglitter.JPG
    pmmglitter.JPG
    235 KB · Views: 186

PTownSubbie

John,

Looks like that Pen Wizard is doing you well!! I see you are getting more use out of it than I did.

Where do you get your puzzle plans? Are they from a document or do you just come up with them on your own?

I have been wanting to try some puzzles but don't know where to start.

John,

Looks like that Pen Wizard is doing you well!! I see you are getting more use out of it than I did.

Where do you get your puzzle plans? Are they from a document or do you just come up with them on your own?

I have been wanting to try some puzzles but don't know where to start.

Yes, the 'Wizard' has worked out quite well...thanks :wink:

There's a wealth of info online for puzzlemaking, both in technique and designs...: :cool:

Ishino Keichiro's website has many examples:
http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~rh5k-isn/Puzzle/

For many, many others go to my Links page:
http://www.puzzleparadise.ca/content_pages.php?page=custom_page&topic_id=49.php

Top Bottom