First wooden pen -- beginning attempt.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

watch_art

People have been asking for wooden pens. Here's a start.

About 5 coats of clear on the barrel. Not nearly done yet, though.
smile.gif

Threads at barrel to cap are 9/16" x 28tpi.
Threads from section into barrel are 10mm x 1mm pitch. Something like 24tpi?

002 by snennewton, on Flickr

001 by snennewton, on Flickr

003 by snennewton, on Flickr

004 by snennewton, on Flickr

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wizard

Shawn, Looks great! You are amazing. You pick up concepts at a phenomenal rate and apply them equally as rapidly to make beautiful pieces of art. A true artist and teacher. Kind Regards, Doc:)

bitshird

Shawn, fantastic work, nice to see a wood grip, in fact nice to see a sweet looking wood Fountain Pen. What kind of wood? It almost looks like Osage Orange.

watch_art

Thanks!

I was told it was black walnut when it was given to me. My mechanic had one plank of it left from an old desk he was burning in his stove at the shop. Somebody else suggested white oak. I have no idea really. It cuts SUPER easy with my woodchuck pen tool.

Old Lar

Shawn, that is a beautiful pen and out of wood as well. I have made one kitless but nothing that I would show in public.

I am wondering what you used for threading? Was it acrylic or another plastic? Where could a person buy whatever you used? Remember I live in central South Dakota so the internet is probably the only source. I would like to try some wood kitless. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

76winger

Great looking pen!. It's too fine of a grain for Oak I believe, and if it's black walnut, it would have to be the sapwood, which is about that color. The heartwood for walnut is a rich chocolate brown.

Robert111

Cool, Shawn. But that grain is so coarse, you'll need a filler to get a decent surface. Check the store for some the same color as the wood. Smear it on, sand, and then apply the rest of the finish. By the way, I'm betting it's oak.

watch_art

Thanks.

One of my students has this one. He's been sort of prototype testing it. I've learned since he's owned it that I need to make the inserts for the cap fill the whole cap. Ink has dripped into his cap and stained the outside of the cap blue. :) He doesn't mind, but a paying customer might.

I'll look for some filler this weekend or so.
CHeers!

nava1uni

Rather then use filler if you sand it with a little medium CA then it will fill the pores without looking like a filler and give you a beautiful finish. Check out Russ Fairfield's website and you will see what I am talking about. You could coat the inside with a layer of acrylic finish or CA then it would be sealed and no ink would leak out.

Robert111

Thanks!

I was told it was black walnut when it was given to me. My mechanic had one plank of it left from an old desk he was burning in his stove at the shop. Somebody else suggested white oak. I have no idea really. It cuts SUPER easy with my woodchuck pen tool.

Aha! Mike Redburn posted a picture of English walnut and I recognized it as your material immediately. Check it out:

http://www.penturners.org/forum/f13/gift-mr-wright-95305/

Top Bottom