First time in 55-years…

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ray-CA

..of working with table saws, I finally "got bit." Not bad, just 2 stitches to the tip of my right index finger. Yes, I know about blade guards, but mine broke several years ago and replacements are not available. It was completely my fault, but now I'm looking at the saw Saw-Stop line of table saws. I don't want the bench top unit nor the cabinet saw so I'm looking at the job site portable one and the contractor model.

Has anyone ever used this brand or have any insights?

Thanks

Ray

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Drewby108

When I worked at a cabinet shop, they only had sawstops for the tablesaws. I never saw one's safety actually get activated, but the quality of machine as a woodworking tool was definitely nice. I would definitely consider one for myself should I ever get around to having my own shop seperate from my father's.

jttheclockman

https://www.sawstop.com/compare/compact-table-saw-vs-job-saw-pro

https://www.sawstop.com/compare/contractor-saw-vs-job-saw-pro

The safety feature is only as good as you have it turned on. I say if you have room for a jobsite saw setup why not get the contractor version. Yes it can store it but setting up still needs room and at almost 100lbs not that easy. I do not own one but just want to mention that at the price they begin at and if you trip them then another $100 for brake system and a new blade. yes it is cheaper than a trip to emergency room and there after. But also remember that the tablesaw is not the only tool in a shop that can hurt you Good luck and sorry about the cuts. Very fortunate.

randyrls

Yes, I know about blade guards, but mine broke several years ago and replacements are not available. It

Ray; There are after market guards available. If you like your existing saw, you may want to investigate those options.

I am also EXTREMELY CAREFUL around my table saw. I have a shop made table saw cutting jig that I use to clamp any small pieces I need to cut. I can attache several jigs to that cutting jig for cutting blanks and longer pieces. The near side of the slider has TWO barn door handles. Guess where my hands are when I push a piece through the cut?

I wish you well my friend.....

Robo-hippie quote "Your saws will eat meat; You are made of meat"

Woodchipper

55 years? So then how old will you be in 55 years for the second OooPs? Never even came close on the TS. But...I cut my thumb while making a salad. Three stitches cost $310 for about five minutes time. Should have gone to medical school. Retrospect: should have reached for the CA glue.

Darios

Has anyone ever used this brand or have any insights?
Only anecdotal - my friend's father has been a woodworker forever and didn't stop when he lost his eyesight. He regularly has to replace his saw-stop blade. So I guess it works well.

Space limitations keep me on a Byrnes model saw, but if/when the time comes for a full size table saw it /will/ be a saw-stop. The math of extra-cost-for-item vs cost-of-one-ER-visit is pretty straightforward.

jttheclockman

Only anecdotal - my friend's father has been a woodworker forever and didn't stop when he lost his eyesight. He regularly has to replace his saw-stop blade. So I guess it works well.

Space limitations keep me on a Byrnes model saw, but if/when the time comes for a full size table saw it /will/ be a saw-stop. The math of extra-cost-for-item vs cost-of-one-ER-visit is pretty straightforward.
Just remember the blade on the Byrnes saw will cut you just as fast as a 10" blade on a full size saw. Those saws do not have blade guards. You are constantly reaching over those blades. Do not get complacent that is my point.

Ray-CA

If we just consider cost....I was out of pocket $5.00 (yes, five dollars) for my urgent care visit. And that was my co-pay for a course of anti-biotics. I was just looking at the Shark guard line of products, but my saw's serial number appears to be just a little too old for they're stuff to work. Did send them an e-mail asking if they might have something that will work. If not, it's off to shop for a new saw.

Thanks everyone.

Ray

jttheclockman

If we just consider cost....I was out of pocket $5.00 (yes, five dollars) for my urgent care visit. And that was my co-pay for a course of anti-biotics. I was just looking at the Shark guard line of products, but my saw's serial number appears to be just a little too old for they're stuff to work. Did send them an e-mail asking if they might have something that will work. If not, it's off to shop for a new saw.

Thanks everyone.

Ray
There are many after market guards out there. That is just one brand. What saw do you have?

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
There you go I stand corrected so maybe a good idea to install one on that saw. I just find gaurds get in the way of what I am seeing. I use sleds and push sticks.
I agree with you! I also have taken off my Byrnes Saw guard and trust my own safety protocol. I will never tell others to do this as it is not as safe, but with small segments the visual is highly important. I was just pointing out to 'newbies' that the Byrnes Saw does come with a blade guard.

jttheclockman

I agree with you! I also have taken off my Byrnes Saw guard and trust my own safety protocol. I will never tell others to do this as it is not as safe, but with small segments the visual is highly important. I was just pointing out to 'newbies' that the Byrnes Saw does come with a blade guard.
Just like I do not tell anyone to not get a Saw stop saw. They are safer than a true tablesaw without it but they are only that safe when you have the brake system on and still need to use care when working around power tools. I am not a fan of that saw just because of the way they forced themselves on other tablesaw companies and the way they went after Bosch who had a better brake system that was cheaper in the long run because it does not ruin the blades when tripped. But that is a story for another time. My means of safety is sleds and push sticks and hold downs and also a basic riving knife. My Byrnes probably came with the guard but I put it in the drawer and just never used it. I do not have a guard on my 10" saw either. just my own preference. Anyone working in a shop should know how to operate their tools safely and if a cut or drilling operation or router or lathe operation does not look or feel safe do not do it. Lets all be safe and enjoy our hobbies.

howsitwork

Ray. wishing you a rapid recovery.

The sharks guard firm do list some stuff for the craftsman 113 on page 2 see here

jttheclockman

Last edited:

Woodchipper

A saw that old probably won't have parts available. I have mentioned this before: One of my customers in the early 70s was a contract manufacturer for all Craftsman power tools. The purchasing agent said
Sears/Craftsman changes a few things that are not interchangeable with the OEM parts. So, when Sears runs out of those parts, you are outta luck.

Top Bottom