First Thanksgiving alone

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Woodnick43

My wife of 52 years passed away a few months ago. We had for the last 52 years had friends and family over for dinner, my wife always had a very elegant event.
I ended going to my son's house. It was ok but not the same.
I do so miss her.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

stonepecker

The Holidays are always the hardest without the people we love the most.

I miss my parents at this time of the year very much. My mother always made goose for Thanksgiving and Christmas until we moved off the farm. WE honner them by remembering the times we had with them. And we know that they smile down upon us from above.

I feel certain that your wife and my mother are both cooking up a storm in heaven.

Remember them with a peaceful heart and a smile on your face. That is what they would want.

TonyL

The folks we love leave big holes in our lives when they perish. I hope you are able to grieve without much pain.

I remember the first Thanksgiving after my dad was gone. My mom was lost as she too was married 52 years to my dad. That thanksgiving was odd and felt forced. I didn't feel like I had anything to be thankful for. I have since realized I had many things to be thankful for such as having my mom with me as well as my loving husband and daughter and my faith.

I came to realize life is different without my dad and now my mom and will never return to what it was. There is a new normal. I miss my folks terribly but am so grateful for the memories and the LOVE WE SHARED. It will take time but will get better.

Hang in there.

wob50

I feel your pain...it gets better....they say when you can tell the story about when they have past away without tears in your eyes..you have heal,going on 9 years its better but have not heal yet....
Take one day at a time...again sorry for your lost....

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
At Thanksgiving the past 5 years we have used a table setting (single person) from one of our "elders". NOT fine china, a setting they used daily.

This year included my Aunt (92) who passed away this year. We typically have 18-26 family/friends present. This year we had 6 "memorial settings."

It is a nice way to teach the "little nippers" how to remember, honor and keep in our memories" those who had been at this table in years past. Each of the 6 had celebrated Thanksgiving at our home... None of us are getting younger.

My wife and I have hosted Thanksgiving for our family for 15 years now, and 6 of our relatives have passed away.

To Woodnick43, Jim, and all else with this life's event - My thoughts are with you!

jttheclockman

I can relate this to my Dad when he passed 9 years ago. As someone said when you can talk about it without tears then you are at least moving on. It gets better but after 9 years still not there and probably will never be. My Dad help mold me into what I am today and the loves and interests I have today are from him.

My Mom just turned 92 today. She suffers from dimentia and there are good days and not so good days. But when I am with her I do remember all those great holiday dinners and gatherings. My family has thinned greatly but i am thankful for the days we had and i will take what I can still get.

When we lose the ones we love a little part of ourselves is lost but they would want us to live on and enjoy the time we have with the ones that share the care and love. One day that broken chain will be whole again. Take care.

Top Bottom