First Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from workinforwood

Status
Not open for further replies.

workinforwood

this is my first ever pen. It's just a gold plated slimline. I'm calling it "Breakfast of Champions" because it is grapefruit and apricot. It is only sanded to 400 grit, that's the best I can do right now, and the finish is just a simple woodturners friction finish. I had to squeeze it together with a trigger clamp. But hey...at least I finally have a pen to call my own, and it was only $750 to make ! hahaha. If anyones interested though, I'll sell it to you for $50 off ! <wink>

20073812011_firstpen.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hilltopper46

Looks much better than my first pen.

I use my drill press to assemble pens - I chuck a bolt in the press and put a block of wood on the table and it works quite well.

The next pen you do will only have cost you a little over $375.00 and will reduce your investment in this one. Keep on turning!

fiferb

Great job! I couldn't even imagine doing a segmented pen on my first try. I didn't even know what a segmented pen was at the time.[:I]

workinforwood

Thanx for the replies...I'm not sure I'd call it segmented. It's just two blocks glued at a 45. But I do love that grapefruit wood. It's not a burl, just regular grapefruit..it has stunning swirly grain and the greyish blue color is fantastic...but doesn't really match that well with the apricot. But it is cool to have a pen and be able to tell someone it is grapefruit and apricot...not likely the person your talking to ever saw those woods before.

kiddo

I don't have the guts to show my first pen. It wasn't anywhere near as nice as yours.

Keep turning!

Kiddo

Good work on the pen. Better than my first.
Whatever you do - DON'T sell it or give it away!! It's your first and later on you'll be sorry if you do. I still have my first even though it doesn't have much plating left.

stevers

Nice first effort. Let me see, with what I've sold, and what I have into turning stuff,,,,,,,,,,my pens cost me about a hundred dollars each. Oh well, it keeps me off of the couch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom