First experiments other than pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from spaceengravers

These are the first things I've tried to turn other than pens. I was trying out my new nova chuck and 60 degree live center and some woods I picked up while in Oklahoma for vacation. The plate was a piece of burl. It was too small to make a full piece, but I like the look of a natural edge anyway. The mushrooms were just a little fun learning to use the chuck.

I definitely have a long way to go in learning to use this chuck and turning plates/bowls and other "natural" stock is much different than a 3/4 x 3/4 pen blank! Hopefully it will take me many more years learning and fine tuning to get it just right!

Mike

Attachments

• Mushrooms 1.jpg
    Mushrooms 1.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 204
  • Plate 1.jpg
    Plate 1.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 167
  • Plate and mushrooms.jpg
    Plate and mushrooms.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 144
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

Those are very natural looking pieces and most certainly a match on the 3 pieces. The plate does look like one of those fungi that grow on trees on on the ground with the mushrooms looking similar with the fungi when young so, that could be and interesting plan to mount them 3 on a nice log with some natural green moss attached to the bark...! oh yeah that would certainly look cool...!:eek::biggrin:

Oh yeah..., and for turning others things apart from pens, talk to me, I've filled a bag or two of shavings doing them...! lots of good tools and tricks to do bowls, plates, platters, vases and much more, are shown on my web site, which I haven't updated for ages but, you will find lots of good info on it or just ask, I will try to help the best way I can...!

Cheers
George

Last edited:
Top Bottom