See more from mjrbuzz

mjrbuzz

Attachments

• 11046819_1081153898576849_5725149440454673729_n.jpg
    11046819_1081153898576849_5725149440454673729_n.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 325
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Clayton,
You didn't say what the wood is... I know about the broken tool rest syndrome... I was doing a 9" zebrawood bowl on my little Jet a few years back... not paying the attention I should have been, I put the tool against the wood, before I put it on the tool rest.... sometimes I'm a backwards child .... the gouge hit the tool rest and I had a bowl in one direction, parts of the tool rest in two others and I was ducking for cover in another.... fortunately, I could get another tool rest from PSI... I bought a set of 3... 6, 9 and 12 inches round steel... I like them.

I haven't been to the Houston/Port Arthur area since I retired, but there used to be a Rockler's out on I10 or 290 headed west.... not sure now exactly where....

Anyway, I like the bowl... looks like you recovered well.

mjrbuzz

Clayton,
You didn't say what the wood is... I know about the broken tool rest syndrome... I was doing a 9" zebrawood bowl on my little Jet a few years back... not paying the attention I should have been, I put the tool against the wood, before I put it on the tool rest.... sometimes I'm a backwards child .... the gouge hit the tool rest and I had a bowl in one direction, parts of the tool rest in two others and I was ducking for cover in another.... fortunately, I could get another tool rest from PSI... I bought a set of 3... 6, 9 and 12 inches round steel... I like them.

I haven't been to the Houston/Port Arthur area since I retired, but there used to be a Rockler's out on I10 or 290 headed west.... not sure now exactly where....

I'm happy with it and am looking forward to #2. the wood is mesquite from the area, I live in Port Aransas close to corpus christi, there is slim pickins around here for anything involving wood turning ;(

jsolie

Looks good! Mesquite can be a good wood to turn, though it can be pretty tough if the wood is bone dry. I've turned a few things from mesquite. The nice thing about it is if I mess up the piece too much, I'll use it in the grill for smoke.

robutacion

There had to be a "first time" to all of us and I can see that, you followed pretty much what all of us do when we turn our first bowl. Fom thickness, shape, size, bowl lip and finish, there is a interesting trend that we all followed, without being aware of it at that, fascinates me...!

I'm a little curious about the way you bottom out the inside hollowing part and the bow inner wall/sides, what is it..?? please explain...!!!:wink::biggrin:

There is a strange perception we get when a chunk of wood is turning on a lathe, as it starts to take shape, our eyes tend to focus directly into the front of the piece and the mind pictures it as it turns, in some way, it becomes like an illusion that is drustically interrupted, when the piece stops turning, like a trance, if you know what I mean...!:)

Well, now that you got the first one under the belt, lets see what you come up with, for the next one...!

Well done.

Cheers
George

mjrbuzz

There had to be a "first time" to all of us and I can see that, you followed pretty much what all of us do when we turn our first bowl. Fom thickness, shape, size, bowl lip and finish, there is a interesting trend that we all followed, without being aware of it at that, fascinates me...!

I'm a little curious about the way you bottom out the inside hollowing part and the bow inner wall/sides, what is it..?? please explain...!!!:wink::biggrin:

There is a strange perception we get when a chunk of wood is turning on a lathe, as it starts to take shape, our eyes tend to focus directly into the front of the piece and the mind pictures it as it turns, in some way, it becomes like an illusion that is drustically interrupted, when the piece stops turning, like a trance, if you know what I mean...!:)

Well, now that you got the first one under the belt, lets see what you come up with, for the next one...!

Well done.

Cheers
George

:) I don' know what it is haha, tho it folowes the cutting edge and shape of my carbide pen tool ;) the bottom is slightly concave, but i really don't have any idea what a wood bowl or dish is supposed to look like, much less how to make it that way, practice and some youtube videos are in my future

SDB777

Bowls can look like 'anything', that's the fun with turning them.

Making them easier to do the sanding part is about the only thing I attempt to do with them. The sharp angled bottom must have been a challenge with the sand paper on this one.

What kind of 'finish' did you apply? Looks pretty 'natural'...I'm thinking an oil?

Scott (now you can make your first-second bowl) B

rtyler8140

Looks great! I too have broken a HF tool rest in half trying to turn a bowl. I decided I could turn a 6"x6"x2" block of kiln dried cherry with a 3/4" roughing gouge. Not gonna lie, I'm glad the tool rest gave out rather than something else. Also decided to invest in a bowl gouge and watch some more bowl turning videos haha. I went to Lowes and bought a 3' piece of 1/2" cold rolled steel for $5.80 and ended up making a new tool rest. If you have a way to cut it and weld it, it is much cheaper than buying a new one. Congrats again on a beautiful bowl. Now go turn another!

mjrbuzz

I'm already tryin to figure out how to buy a bigger lathe bwahaha, the finish on it is danish oil, i think its a walnut oil.

Fay Prozora

Very nice bowl for a first one. I had a bad catch in one of my bowls but I was able to slowly work it out and got a decent bowl out of it. I will turn another bowl one of these days. I've had wood fly off the lathe a time or two but the very first time it happened I heard a pop and stood there wondering what it was. Then notice the lathe going with no wood on it. I was lucky because that wood could have very well hit me in the head. So I bought some head protection. Always need to have good protection so you won't get injured. But that is a beautiful bowl.. Thanks for sharing... Fay

Clayton,

I'm happy with it and am looking forward to #2. the wood is mesquite from the area, I live in Port Aransas close to corpus christi, there is slim pickins around here for anything involving wood turning ;(

You're not too terribly far from the Katy area over near Houston... here is a source of wood you might look into..

Texas Woodcrafts - Wood, Lumber, Turning Blanks For Sale

I haven't used any of his woods as I have more here in east TN than I can get turned, but he has some good looking stuff.

Top Bottom