First bowl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from terryf

terryf

Never tried turning a bowl and thought I'd give it a bash. A lot of learning as I went along. Got the dove tail wrong first and second time but eventually got it turned round and off we went. Looking at it now, its bloody awful workmanship!
Still, its the first one and it will serve nicely as a small money bowl. Finished in teak oil. Thanks for looking and suggestions/comments welcome :)

Attachments

• small bowl.jpg
    small bowl.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 281
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

edstreet

What type of wood is this? Also since you mentioned dovetail cut wrong I am assuming you are using a chuck. Most of my cuts are not dovetail but in fact more straight and I do use a skew chisel to clean them up and slant them slightly. with the chuck that I have it's not that super critical it be perfect angle as the wood fibers will compress some when clamped and when turning.

terryf

Thanks Ed, yes turning with a chuck. I know the fibre will compress but wanted as little damage as possible. I used a skew for most of the work and a scraper for the finishing inside.
I have absolutely no idea what type of wood this is. Your guess is as good as mine :)
Thanks for the comments.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Nice to see you post anything again Terry. It's been a while hasn't it?
That little money / car key dish is worth a lot more than the 3 Rand odd in it. :biggrin:

Lekker Mooi!!:biggrin:

terryf

Nice to see you post anything again Terry. It's been a while hasn't it?
That little money / car key dish is worth a lot more than the 3 Rand odd in it. :biggrin:

Lekker Mooi!!:biggrin:

LOL, ya Steven, its been a while! Between the sciatic nerve and the office I haven't had much time to turn altho I did turn a cigar this morning for a friend from down south. In his pocket so quick I couldnt get a pic...

Whilst I appreciate your vote of confidence, Im not sure I'd pay 3 bucks for it :biggrin:

Gilrock

Congrats on the first bowl. I've only done about 4 bowls so far. I ended up really liking the oil finish. It always appeared to look dryed out and I kept having to re-oil them. For a couple of them I got Minwax Polyurethane and applied it very thin with a cloth and did several coats. After applying each coat I would let it spin for a minute or two to try to make sure it stays on even. It takes a couple days to get enough on since you need drying time between coats but I was much happier with the final shine.

Top Bottom