First Bottle Stopper

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Band Saw Box

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
Hello Everyone
Here is my first bottle stopper. I ordered the kit from Craig (clapiana) at chefwarekits.com. I used a maple blank that I had in the shop and one of the stainless steel stoppers that came in the kit. I drilled the blank then soaked the hole in thin CA, once it was dry I taped the hold. I sanded the finished blank to 12000 mm and finished with WTF. I'm pretty happy with the look. All C&C are welcome. Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• IMG_0002.jpg
    IMG_0002.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 266
  • IMG_0003.jpg
    IMG_0003.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 237
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BSea

That's a nice one. And you did a good job on the top. Many people do a decretive top that's pointed. Although it looks good, people that use bottle stoppers prefer a flatter or smoother rounded top so they can push it in with the palm of their hand. Or gently hit it with their hand to seat the stopper. But they are a lot of fun to make.

I learned that when I made one as a gift for a friend. He told me it looked good, but he didn't use it because of the point.

Fay Prozora

Very nice looking bottle stopper... It looks like it would be an easy thing to make so will have to give it a try. I also want to make kaleidoscope eggs and the like. So come pay day I will order some a blank or two and a kit just for fun... Fay

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
Thank you so much Bob and Fay for the nice comments. Bob, it funny that you mentioned the pointed top because I was thinking the same thing when I was looking at some of the stoppers I saw on line. Fay, there are a lot of stopper kits to choose from. This is the kit I ordered http://www.chefwarekits.com/ss-nile...set-11pc-woodworking-kit-made-in-the-usa.html. I also ordered this so I could drill and tap the blanks. http://www.chefwarekits.com/bottle-stopper-drill-and-tap-combo-set-heavy-duty.html. See the pens you have made I'm sure you would do a good job with a stopper. The kaleidescope egg are a lot of fun as well. I got my kits from Woodcraft.

kludge77

So, what did you think? I recall my first bottle stopper as liberating as I didn't have to turn to a bushing!

Ready for you next one?!

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
Peter, it always fun doing a project like this. See if you can turn tge blank into the shape you see in your mind off eye

solobiker

Great job! Those are fun to make and I have actually sold a few. I like them because it opens up you to be creative with the shape. Have fun and thanks for sharing.

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
Thanks a lot Charlie and Susan for your nice comments, I'm still working on the best way to sand when I have more coves and beads in a small area, right how I'm using 3" scalloped sanding disks, I'm thinking about air brushing WTF to see it that will make finishing easier. Any ideas on sanding and finishing are welcome.

Last edited:

jsolie

The stopper looks great! I like the idea of the flat top. I'll keep that in mind for my next one (which will go on a SS stopper).

What I'd like to know is how you got that level of sheen from WTF. Every time I use the stuff, the piece comes out about as glossy as a post-it note.

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
Thank you very much Mike. Another demo? I guess I could get with Fred and Tina and see what thay think. It would also depend on how my foot is doing after the surgery next month. But I would be happy to to a demo.

mjrbuzz

beautiful!! I have really only used ca for finishing because of the forgivness of it haha, i would like to figure out a matte finish of some sort tho. What kinda wood is that maple?

Last edited:

Rick_G

Good looking stopper Dan. I am assuming you didn't put a coin or anything in the top. I like to do that for a little visual interest. Stick with the food grade SS stopper you used. Ruth Niles has them made in the U.S. and they don't corrode. I've had a ti gold stopper returned to me by my DIL all corroded. So now I am trying to find a 2006 Mexican coin to put in the replacement I am going to make. They were married in 2006 in Mexico so I figure it would be a fitting replacement.

My only problem with bottle stoppers is what to use them for. I'm told they are for keeping leftover wine from going bad but I've never figured out what "leftover" wine is. I guess I can use them to keep the fruitflies out between glasses.:biggrin:

Top Bottom