First 30cal Twist pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wildbill23c

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wildbill23c

Banned
Really nice pen, what did you use to finish the blank?

I picked up some of the Doctor's Microcrystal Wax and Doctor's High Build Friction Polish last week so I used them. From what I've been experimenting with I've concluded that the wax goes on first then the friction polish, tried it the other way around and didn't seem to work. Didn't really have any instructions on how to use it so i just experimented until it looked right LOL. I have Myland's Friction Polish as well but have been using the Doctor's products lately. I then apply a coat of CA glue as a final step. Seems to come out really nice and smooth.

Kind of wondering if I should pick up a set of those micro-mesh pads that go up to 12,000 grit if it would help? I have a few acrylic blanks I'm saving up as I've been told I need a different polish and finish for those.

Dan Masshardt

I picked up some of the Doctor's Microcrystal Wax and Doctor's High Build Friction Polish last week so I used them. From what I've been experimenting with I've concluded that the wax goes on first then the friction polish, tried it the other way around and didn't seem to work. Didn't really have any instructions on how to use it so i just experimented until it looked right LOL. I have Myland's Friction Polish as well but have been using the Doctor's products lately. I then apply a coat of CA glue as a final step. Seems to come out really nice and smooth. Kind of wondering if I should pick up a set of those micro-mesh pads that go up to 12,000 grit if it would help? I have a few acrylic blanks I'm saving up as I've been told I need a different polish and finish for those.
That's an odd finishing method, but we all do something a bit different from each other.

The wax goes after the fraction polish generally.

Last edited:

Jim Burr

Banned
So what do you think of these kits Bill? I'd encourage you to move up on your finish. All those are wax based and wax looks good!! But they don't last very long. Just one of those things. One on my favorite kits, they sell well. If you have antler available, those rock!!

Last edited:

wildbill23c

Banned
So what do you think of these kits Bill? I'd encourage you to move up on your finish. All those are wax based and wax looks good!! But they don't last very long. Just one of those things. One on my favorite kits, they sell well. If you have antler available, those rock!!

Jim:
What finishes do you recommend? Right now I'm just trying out different finishes.

Dan:

I was doing the finish the other way as well, but it didn't seem to be working right. Maybe I'll retry it again.

I'm just having fun at the moment with all the possibilities in different kits, different wood choices, etc.

So far I like this kit, its a somewhat heavy pen though, but the bolt action ones are heavy as well. Everyone I show them to likes them, and the bolt action ones are extremely popular here around where I live as we have a lot of gun people and hunters here in Idaho.

Ambidex

I picked up some of the Doctor's Microcrystal Wax and Doctor's High Build Friction Polish last week so I used them. From what I've been experimenting with I've concluded that the wax goes on first then the friction polish, tried it the other way around and didn't seem to work. Didn't really have any instructions on how to use it so i just experimented until it looked right LOL. I have Myland's Friction Polish as well but have been using the Doctor's products lately. I then apply a coat of CA glue as a final step. Seems to come out really nice and smooth.

Kind of wondering if I should pick up a set of those micro-mesh pads that go up to 12,000 grit if it would help? I have a few acrylic blanks I'm saving up as I've been told I need a different polish and finish for those.

Hi Bill..I turn a lot of acrylics and could NOT live without the mm pads...in fact I always have 2-3 sets available...just in case:wink:

wildbill23c

Banned

Hi Bill..I turn a lot of acrylics and could NOT live without the mm pads...in fact I always have 2-3 sets available...just in case:wink:

I have a couple acrylic blanks I haven't even ventured into that yet, however I certainly will have the MM pads before I even get started. I've been told I need different finishes for the acrylics though, so I haven't even looked at what pens to make out of those acrylic blanks LOL.

Well I'll definitely be all ears as to which finishes to use for wood and acrylics. I started with Myland's and was told that the Doctor's products were better, now being told that I need to use something else :tongue:. Hey that's why I joined, I want to learn, and that's just what I've been doing. The nice thing is if something don't work out on the finish I can always sand it off and start again. I was given 2 apple boxes full of Maple wood a couple weeks ago, so that's been one of my test woods, along with pine, and barn-wood.

So any information regarding better finishes than those I mentioned along with proper finishes for Acrylics as well would be greatly appreciated.

Top Bottom