Finishing pens???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

I am constantly reading many pros' version of finishing pens. Usually I will read that most apply multiple coats of finish. Some use sealers and then 5,6,up to 10 coats of finish wheather it is CA, Enduro, or Unaxol. My question is how in the world do you get your pens to fit the kits right??? I have read some undercut the bushings and allow for the build up. But how do you know how much??? Do you ever get the pen nicely finished and then go to put together and the barrels stand proud or maybe even are too low from the nibs and other parts of the pens??? Then what do you do???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ahoiberg

john, i don't think you'll find this to be a problem. i almost always turn flush with the bushings and use one sealer coat and 2 or 3 coats of med/thick CA. i've never had anything come out noticeably proud. maybe i'm just lazy, but i don't use a caliper.

jttheclockman

Use a caliper??? What is that going to tell you?? Unless there is a standard measurement that you shoot for?

Dario

Measure the kit parts and shoot for that. No one can tell you everything...you have to experiment a bit and see what works for you. Thickness of your finish is not the same as mine. These variables all play a role in your finish fit.

rlharding

There is. Use a calliper to size the kit connection parts, then, as you work on your blank, use the calliper to transfer the same measurement. The coats that go on are only thin coats no matter what you are using.

jttheclockman

I am guessing a digital caliper would be the thing to get. And from what you all have said it looks like a feel thing. I maybe reading too much into this as I read the various posts about finishing and read all the steps people take and all the coats they apply. Thanks for the replys and will have to experiment. Just started getting into pen turning and am trying to pick up as much info as I can.

Sfolivier

Just try, and then decide if it's a problem or not. The coats are usually pretty thin and although it's a valid concern, it may not practically matter to you.

Dario

If you can get the bare wood to the exact size of the kit component next to it, then it won't matter much if your finish is thin. If it is thick then adjust accordingly.

I apply mine thick so I usually try to go .010" less than the component diameter. That is about the thickness of 4 papers leaving me (0.005") 2 paper thick finish. Hope this helps.

Top Bottom