finishing cork

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Exabian

I plan on making a pen out of wine corks. Normally I would do a CA finish on it to prevent dirt and oils from staining the cork. The problem is I don't like that it doesn't feel like cork when finished this way. I always seem to get the "Thats not cork. It's doesn't feel like cork and it to stiff to be cork." (real statement). So this time i would like to find a finish that will protect the cork but allow it to maintain the feel of cork.

Any suggestions?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Soup

There is a product called U40 (i think that was it) that is used in the fishing rod builders world that is a cork preserver/cleaner. I used to have some but it has been a while since I have seen it. It worked very well.

Exabian

There is a product called U40 (i think that was it) that is used in the fishing rod builders world that is a cork preserver/cleaner. I used to have some but it has been a while since I have seen it. It worked very well.

I will have to look that up. Its sounds like what I am looking for thanks.

Jim Burr

Banned
I was thinking of stabilizing some....may do that today with a batch of burl and see what happens.

LanceD

I was thinking of stabilizing some....may do that today with a batch of burl and see what happens.

Cork is a very dense material with natural pits and inclusions. Attempts at dyeing cork by several people that uses cork on a daily basis have been unsuccessful. The dye just won't penetrate through the top layer.

iflysw

Most fishing rod building sites carry a product call cork sealer. I have used it and after it soaks in and drys it hasn't changed the color that much. They also sell bleached cork blanks.

Top Bottom