Finally made one!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I thought the turning and polishing turned out well. Not perfect but I was pleased for my first pen. Of course it is completely worthless because I pressed the transmission in too far, Don't know what I was thinking. Not embarressed to show you guys my mistake since most of you have been so kind to me.
I also got one of the blanks backward. I guess this is how I have to learn.
How do you know how far to press the transmission in?
Best Wishes to All that make Pens!
Boswell
Well, can't figure out how to send a photo.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Woodkiller

What you need for a slim line is a piece of 1/8" & 1/4" brass rod about 6" long each. Use the 1/8" to knock out the tip and the 1/4" to knock out the transmission. The 1/8" will fit right through the transmission. My 1/4" needed a little sanding to get it to slide smoothly.

Woodkiller

A set of punches would be best and you will probably have need for a few(if not most) of them down the road. But for quick and cheap to get you going and back to work(for a slimline), a quick trip to the hardware store does it.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
For slimlines, I press the transmission in almost (but not completely) to the end of the brass part then test fit the refill. That gives me a good idea as to how much farther I need to press, but I stop just short of that amount & test the refill again. I might repeat that 2 or 3 more times to get it just where I want.

MikeinSC

I too stop short of having the brass part or the indention seated into the barrel. I check the refill several times, sneaking up on having it seated properly.

The transmissions don't like to be pulled back out so going through the nib end, as suggested, is the way to go.
A spare mandrel works great for coaxing the nib and clip pieces off too. Make sure its a spare mandrel and not the good one.

thanks for all the advice

Now this will probably make you all laugh. I didn't have the rods or punches, I sat there thinking what I had. Drill bits, (Yes, I now know not the best idea!). Lots of light hammering, and cut fingers later I got the parts out and back together. Gotta learn through doing I guess! Blood came off with water and the pen turned out pretty decent for my first try. I see all of the things I could have done better for next time. Not as easy as it might seem!

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Congrats on your first pen! Sounds like a lesson that will be remembered! While you are at the store getting punches, pick up some new drill bits too :tongue:

Oh, we do have one unwritten rule - no pictures, it didn't happen. :biggrin:

Oh.. and some band-aids :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:.
And gauze,
and , oh never mind - have fun!

Harbor freight - Good cheap (But works) set of punch presses. I'll look up a link.

http://www.harborfreight.com/28-piece-transfer-punch-set-3577.html

Last edited:
Top Bottom