Finally got tired of searching for my knives

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

RogerGarrett

For the last couple of years, I've used a Jet Mini-Lathe and really enjoyed it. I sold it a couple of weeks back to another happy IAP member. The advantage that I had with that lathe was that I could store the turning tools - knives and chisels - below the bed as it rested on the bench I had built for it. While they gradually became covered with wood strips from turning, I always seemed to be able to get to them.

When I purchased the new Jet 1236, I was very pleased with the variable speed adjustment on the front. However, there was no place to put tools. So, I built a little tool caddy based on the design of my cutlery set in our kitchen. Just used some scrap poplar and some pieces of walnut that were too thin for anything but I was too cheap to throw out. I attached it to another poplar board and used two lower pieces with a bolt on each end to pinch the horizontal edge of the legs of the lathe, and now the knives are in reach always. In fact - they never get covered up, and they never vibrate off and fall on the cement floor any longer!

Anyone else come up with ideas for tool holders?

162851_Tool%20Caddy%20on%20Lathe%20resized%20photo.jpg

200649162930_Tool%20Caddy%20resized%20photo.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dubdrvrkev

Very nice, thanks for that idea.
I have been trying to come up with new ideas since my shop re-organization and new lathe stand leave me short on tool storage space. Im' sure my solution will be slightly more ghetto.

Rifleman1776

Roger said, "...they never get covered up, and they never vibrate off and fall on the cement floor any longer!"
Too bad. What do you do for fun now? [;)]
Actually, too nice. Wood be out of place in my shop. Mine just lay on shelves next to me. One day I'll make a holder.

Daniel

Thanks Roger, I just saved that second Photo to my shop accessories folder. always on the prowel for ideas in my new shop, and this one will fit right in.

angboy

Here's what I did with my tools- I bought some of the "rare earth magnets" from Highland Hardware (tried to find them locally and couldn't). They're super strong magnets, and I got the smallest size- the 3/8" ones. I just used those to affix my tools to the metal edging of my gorilla shelves.

200641034959_1191935IMGSmall.jpg
<br />

RogerGarrett

Originally posted by angboy
<br />Here's what I did with my tools- I bought some of the "rare earth magnets" from Highland Hardware (tried to find them locally and couldn't). They're super strong magnets, and I got the smallest size- the 3/8" ones. I just used those to affix my tools to the metal edging of my gorilla shelves.

<br />

Looks handy.

When I first started out in 1998 turning batons, I was in a room downstairs in the basement - a utility room - and literally had just the tiniest space. I put up a magnetic strip that held my knives. However - it magnetized my 1/4" parting tool and my skew - and they tended to want to grab the tool rest! [xx(] Why did that happen, and why haven't your's magnetized [?]

Roger Garrett

angboy

Originally posted by RogerGarrett
<br />
Originally posted by angboy
<br />Here's what I did with my tools- I bought some of the "rare earth magnets" from Highland Hardware (tried to find them locally and couldn't). They're super strong magnets, and I got the smallest size- the 3/8" ones. I just used those to affix my tools to the metal edging of my gorilla shelves.

<br />

Looks handy.

When I first started out in 1998 turning batons, I was in a room downstairs in the basement - a utility room - and literally had just the tiniest space. I put up a magnetic strip that held my knives. However - it magnetized my 1/4" parting tool and my skew - and they tended to want to grab the tool rest! [xx(] Why did that happen, and why haven't your's magnetized [?]

Roger Garrett

When I first pull them off, if I were to touch the tool rest, I can feel a tiny bit of stickiness to it, but that's it- doesn't last at all, and it's never affected my turning. It doesn't want to hold onto the tool or anything like that. Like I mentioned, I did get the smallest size possible, so maybe that's at least in part why? Less magnet to be building up whatever property might affect the tools metal? I would think that if that was a problem, maybe you could attach the tool so the magnet was holding right at the bottom of the blade part of the tool/top part of the handle, which would be a part that wouldn't be resting against the tool rest?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom