Finally finished the bowl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Nolan

Nolan

New Mallee (narrow leaf red) natural edge bowl with a lacquer finish. All comments welcome good and bad:D

DSCN4322.jpg

DSCN4324.jpg

DSCN4325.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tmhawk

OK, you said "bad comments." So here goes, "THAT thing is one BAD Momma." (Bad as in Wow, incredible, great job, excellent.) Beautiful wood and an outstanding job of turning and finishing. It's going to look great where ever it ends up, on a table, on the wall, it's going to look cool.
Fantastic work,
Tony
Phoenix, AZ

Dario

Good job Nolan! Love it.

The bad (nitpicking here), needs a little more sanding on the bottom. Since you spent a lot of time on this piece...the little extra effort finishing will put it a step higher. JMHO.

rlharding

Ditto what Dario said about the bottom. Then it needs your signature Nolan. It is sweet. Haven't tried any winged bowls yet this encourages me to get at it. How big is it?

Nolan

Originally posted by rlharding

Ditto what Dario said about the bottom. Then it needs your signature Nolan. It is sweet. Haven't tried any winged bowls yet this encourages me to get at it. How big is it?

Not quite 10 inches at the longeest point and about 2 1/2 inches tall.

karlkuehn

Banned
Wow, Nolan! I bet that was weird to turn. It turned out beautifully! I absolutely love that little hole in the side.

I think every tool on my workbench would rattle on to the floor trying to turn something like that!

Wonderful bowl, I hope I can pull off something like that someday. :)

DocStram

First, a constructive criticism. I'm with Dario. The first thing a real live bowl turner does is lift up the bowl to look at the bottom. (It happened to a "good friend" of mine.) I'd say work on sanding the lines off of the bottom.

Second, I think the rest of the bowl is a first class piece of work. Looking at your work has inspired me to head down to the shop and finally tackle a piece of red mallee that has been sitting there too long.

I really like the lacquer finish. Would you mind taking the time to lay out the process you used for finishing it?

Thanks!

babyblues

That is beautiful! I've been wanting to turn some bowls for some time now. I'm not about to begin with something like what you've done, but I'm with the others asking for more info about how you did it. How did you chuck the piece to finish the inside?

Nolan

Originally posted by babyblues

That is beautiful! I've been wanting to turn some bowls for some time now. I'm not about to begin with something like what you've done, but I'm with the others asking for more info about how you did it. How did you chuck the piece to finish the inside?

Do you think enough of the membership would like a how to article to be written on it with photos along the way? If enough folks want one or think it would be of value to the group I can write one up with step by step photos this weekend if I get a chance.

karlkuehn

Banned
Originally posted by n4631x

Do you think enough of the membership would like a how to article to be written on it with photos along the way? If enough folks want one or think it would be of value to the group I can write one up with step by step photos this weekend if I get a chance.

Only if you're going to start selling those nice burl caps! hehe

I'd love to see your tutorial! :)

Nolan

Originally posted by karlkuehn

Only if you're going to start selling those nice burl caps! hehe

I'd love to see your tutorial! :)

Yes I am always selling them, how many tons you need:D In all seriousness I guess I need to put some on the website or at least post some here for sale. I assumed everyone knew that I have a full supply of burl from whole caps to pen blanks

karlkuehn

Banned
Yes I am always selling them, how many tons you need:D In all seriousness I guess I need to put some on the website or at least post some here for sale. I assumed everyone knew that I have a full supply of burl from whole caps to pen blanks

Dude. Don't tell me stuff like that! [:0]

Okay okay...focus on making blanks...ignore the burls...ignore the burls...you can do it...one day at a time...

[:p]:D

babyblues

That would be awesome!

Top Bottom