Finally After Being Getting Ready for Weeks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
I made my first pens today. Pink Ivory, Bocote, two Redheart or Padauk (don't know which) and Purpleheart.

Image Insert:
200495195429_Pens-0103.jpg

63.15KB

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

William Young

Very Nice Mac.
Looks familiar as to the way so many of us did our first ones. A varity of woods and all slimlines.
You are definitely hooked now and I know we will be seeing more and different models before too long.
Keep up the good work.
W.Y.

G

Just a WAG but the one that left the pile of"rust" under the lathe is paduk.
My guess is Paduk
Nice.

Thank you all for the kind words.

The one on the left is Pink Ivory and the very first one. If you look down near the tip you can see that I was afraid to get too close to the bushings, but overcame that with the other ones. I guess I need to consider bushing as expendable? There ain't no way that you, or I any way, can keep the sandpaper off the bushings. They are just gonna change size no matter what I do.

The reason I don't know what kind of wood that the two orange/red looking ones are is as follows. I bought a "Grab Bag" of pen blanks at the local Woodcraft store. Thirty some odd blanks of various wood and different sizes, width and lengths. I suppose they are rejects from someone cutting blanks for sale. But, the bag had about five Blackwood or Ebony blanks in it. I can't see any reason that they are rejected. I am looking forward to making them into a pen and will wait until I learn a little more and so I don't waste them on inexpensive slimline kits.

tipusnr

My biggest problem with the Woodcraft Grab Bags is that I don't know wood well enough to identify a lot of it and end up making projects with "light wood", "dark wood", and "figured wood". Great for friends and relations...not too good for sales.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom