filing catches in clear resin.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from tbroye

tbroye

I turned on of YoYo Spin's resin bottle stoppers today and after I finished polishing it I discovered a few small catches/divits in the clear resin part of the stopper. Can you fill these with CA and sand them down or just put back on a mandrel and turn it a little more? New scary sharp skew and fast speed,3600 rpm and bingo some catches and they happen real fast and deep.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

nava1uni

I either turn it a little more, sand them out, or use gap filling CA and sand through the grits until it is all smooth. Then final finish is plastic polish and buff with cotton wheels in my cordless drill.

tbroye

Cindy

Thanks for the reply. I think I will fill them with CA and then sand them. The stopper is getting a little small for further turning. These aren't very deep so CA should do it. Sharp tool take a whole differnt technique. Good luck Tomorrow with the hand.

Tom,
Keep the skew sharp, but you might try slowing the lathe just a hair... I normally turn most of my pens and stoppers, both wood and plastics at 2650 rpm... that's the next to last stop on my Jet1014.. keep your cuts very light as you get towards size.

tbroye

Thats my biggest problem. I have been so used to having semi sharp tools that now when the are reall sharp, I am having to retrain my self in the use of the Skew. Sharp Skews= big catches.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
SHARP is relative.

Have you JUST sharpened, and not honed?

This can leave an edge that is not "regular" and little pieces of metal that will "catch". Also, if you are turning bottlestoppers, they can move. If the tailstock has been moved away for final turning, a tiny move leaves nasty gouges.

WHEN in doubt, use sandpaper.

tbroye

Ed

They have been honed. Just me not being careful and not the best technique. Also a couple of them were when I move the tail stock back to put a final shape on the end. I am doing better on this one just one small catch which I took care of by a little more turning.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Tom,

This is one of the RARE times I don't espouse the use of a skew.

When you back off the tailstock, I tend to use a scraper, starting at the center and following the curve down the piece. All the time TRYING to keep the pressure I am exerting centered on the headstock (avoid pushing the stopper off-center, thus avoiding vibration which causes the "chatter marks" or gouging.)

Again, I used this technique for a long time to get close to the final dimension, then went to my trusty 320 grit gouge (which NEVER digs in). NOW, I am pretty cocky, so I actually do use a tool throughout and YES, I do mess one up occasionally.

Top Bottom