Epoxy work time

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Tonto

Have both a 5-minute and 30 minute epoxy. The consistency of mixed 5-min (fishing rod epoxy) is thinner (but thick enough) and work time short but it sems easy to apply and works fine for one set of tubes at a time. So I figure 30-minute epoxy would give me much more time to work on several blanks. Seems I was wrong, parts A & B are thicker to start and I can no longer roll a tube after about five minutes, the only thing is it does take at least 30 minutes to cure, I just can't work with it any longer than the five minute version. So I now glue two tubes per mix. Anybody else have this problem? Maybe the epoxy is mis-marked? I'd hate to vary the 1:1 mix ratio and risk non-cure. I also use Gorilla glue but would rather (pardon the pun) stick with epoxy. I've had a tube or tube push out with the polyurethane glue. I'm tired of using so many toothpicks and post-it notes.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Tonto, if you use Gorilla or any other poly glue here is a quick tip. Put a drop of CA at the end of the tube where it is in contact with both the end of the blank and the end of the tube. Hit it with a quick spritz of acclerator. The tube will not go anywhere while the poly sets.

The only thing I can think of with your epoxy is that it could be past its shelf life. With what I have used, the older it is the thicker it gets. If it is not fresh glue go out and buy some brand new and try it. I just used my 30 min. tonight with about a 10 min. working time. I just buy the Hobby Lobby brand.

almer

Originally posted by wdcav1952

Tonto, if you use Gorilla or any other poly glue here is a quick tip. Put a drop of CA at the end of the tube where it is in contact with both the end of the blank and the end of the tube. Hit it with a quick spritz of acclerator. The tube will not go anywhere while the poly sets.
That is one of the best tips ive heard in a long time thanks

Rudy Vey

For quite some time now, well over 100 pens ago, I changed to 5 min Epoxy. And I believe there are big differences between them as well. I am using Devcon 5 min epoxy now, and must say I am very impressed with it. The trick is to mix only a small amount of it at a time. With this I can glue up about easy 5 pens (with two tubes each) before it becomes too stiff to work. What I like on the epoxy is that I come home from work, glue up some pens, then have dinner and afterwards can turn them.

RONB

Passed Away Jan 17, 2011
In Memoriam
I have been using Loctite Hysol 608 for a year with very good results. It comes in a 1.69 oz.twin tube p/n 83075. dries in 5 min. and holds tight.I use it on wood and p/r with equal results.

alamocdc

I use nothing but epoxy for gluing tubes. And you're right about the working time. It doesn't change much with longer curing times until you get to the 24 hour stuff. But even with 5 min, I can still get 4 - 6 tubes glued with one mix, but it gets a little hairy towards the end. Then again, I've been working with this stuff regularly since the early '70's so maybe I'm used to it.[:I]

Rifleman1776

My experience with 5 min. epoxy is like Billy B's. It is what I use. I make about a quarter size puddle and mix with a toothpick then apply to the tube with the same toothpick. Like Billy, I can do 4 or 5 before it sets too much to work. It may be a little less economical to use than some other methods but it is consistent and reliable.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but epoxy is too messy for me.. I prefer the thick CA to glue pens... I always glue up a number of pens at one time, then let them sit overnight before I try to turn... only time I've had a failure is if I turn too soon, or if I don't get a good coating on the tube.

May need to practice some more with the epoxy.

gerryr

I use 30 minute epoxy by that I buy at a local hobby shop. I think it's made by Bill Smith Industries in California. I have glued as many as 10 tubes from one batch, but it was starting to get fairly stiff on the last couple of tubes. I only use epoxy when I'm gluing a lot of tubes. If I'm only doing a couple of pens' worth, I use Sumo glue which doesn't foam as much as Gorilla Glue and has never pushed out a tube. Sumo glue also cures faster than Gorilla Glue.

I reason I like using epoxy over CA is because you can tint/color epoxy. Up to now I have been using the 30 min. epoxy. I am going to try the 5 min. to see if there is any difference in the initial set time.

Top Bottom