Engraving with color

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Daddy1

If I get a pen engraved, How can I add color to it. I read somewhere you could fill the engraving but can't remember with what.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gwilki

KDH
If you want to fill the engraving so that it is level with the surface of the pen, you can use anything you like. You can get powdered stones, you can use the brass from key machines in your hardware store, you can use coffee grounds, etc. I've used all the above. I just use thin CA glues to fix the filling place, then sand the engraved area down to the level of the pen. Then, just use whatever finish you were going to use on the rest of the pen.

mick

Ditto what Billy says...My wife being the crafty person she is has thousands.....well hundreds....well probably close to a hundred lil bottles of acrylic craft paint....I can paint my blanks and fill engraving all in one stop...lol

Rmartin

I use Pro Color Fill. It's a product specially made for engraving. It's made by Laser Bits. Sorry, don't have the web address handy.

Rmartin

Chasper

In my business I have several laser engravers for commercial work. I do long production runs only, see Kallenshaan Woods or others for one of a kind jobs. I have found that different types of wood burn differently on the laser. When engraving most (but not all) light woods the recessed area is dark and burned. Some mid-dark and darker woods hardly show the engraving at all, you have to feel the recesses. Maple is a good light wood for engraving; oak, hickory and ash don't work so well. Cherry and Alder are excellant mid-dark woods. Walnut and most darker woods don't show up well.

For most of what we do we use a powder called laser black, it comes from the equipment makers. After we engrave the plaques and boxes, we dust on some laser black, then brush it back off with a dry paint brush, leaving some down in the recessed areas. Then we coat it with a clear lacquer, sealing in the laser black. I tried some laser white and lighter colors, but I don't like the look much.

C

NancyLaird

When we do colorfill on pens, we use Liquitex Basics acrylic paints, and we always engrave and fill BEFORE final finish. The last pen I made was of walnut, and I filled the engraving with gold paint--it was pretty sharp looking. With chrome kits, I use silver, and it's pretty good-looking too.

Nancy (106 days)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom