Engineering

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DrPepper8412

Hey, does anyone with a bit more engineering expertise than I have the measurements for the tubes in a Gentleman kit? Things like Inside Diameter, Outside Diameter, and wall thickness? I'm going to try to purchase a comparable piece of brass tubing and cut it myself to the length I need...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

soligen

I don't think you will have much luck finding the same tubing - pen tubes are oddball sizes. You will need to buy them from someone who sells pen making stuff. Some sizes come in 10" lengths.

In the library there is a tube and bushing reference. It is worth the time to find (I downloaded it and keep it on my desktop - always handy). It has the dimensions for most of the kits, and I would bet the Gentleman's is in there.

For tubes that don't come in 10" lengths, what I do is look for another kit that uses the same diameter tube, but is longer, then buy replacement tubes for that other kit. For example, Woodcraft's cigar letter opener tubes are the same diameter as the cigar pen, but are a little longer. I buy these instead of replacement cigar tubes, then I can trim to the length I want.

its_virgil

Use two tubes, or as many as you need, cutting one to make the total length needed. Glue then in end to end. I've done this before and it seems to work must fine.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

DrPepper8412

Where can I get the 10" Lengths for the gentlemans? I've seen the longer tubes for smaller pens, but never for something that large.

That's why I was asking for dimensions...But if you think they'd be difficult to source in the exact dimensions necessary...

Use two tubes, or as many as you need, cutting one to make the total length needed. Glue then in end to end. I've done this before and it seems to work must fine.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Virgil, it's a good idea...but this is exactly what I did and I had a problem with it, because I used a segmented piece of wood too. The wood-seam wasn't directly on the tube-seam, but it still wasn't enough holding force...

Top Bottom