Wait time on Antler?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

StephenM

I was given some antlers to play with (but no backstrap - the cheap bast*rds) from some deer that were taken last weekend.

Do I need to wait any time to let the antlers dry or the sooner the better or ???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Bellsy

Yes they have to dry....I found out the hard way.....:(

Probably a year anyway I would think. Actually, cut the blanks to length (oversize) and then let them dry that way. This will open up the ends of the blanks and they should dry faster IMHO.

Here's a little tip on how I get my antler prepared for turning.....I use a Steb Center to position and drive the antler and the live center for positioning. I rough the blank round and then grab onto it with my Talon chuck and drill it out. I can place my centers where ever I want the center of my antler blank to be for drilling.

Dave

keithlong

Yeap, I let mine dry at least 1 year. When I get the ones from this years hunting season, I will wait until next year to turn em.

StephenM

Is the smell the only reason or will they shrink? Would microwaving work (we have an extra in the basement so I won't ruin the good one).

Justturnin

I know they have to dry but not sure how long, my post is more of a cvurious thought maybe someone can answer.

Does the DNA method work on Antler?

bitshird

I also wait a year for fresh kill antlers, Sheds depend on how dry they appear or how squirrel shewed up they are. Cutting a bit over length will allow them to dry a bit faster, BUT DON'T Microwave them.

carpblaster

it depends on the size here in Alabama, i was given some that were a year old and still had blood in the marrow, and have used some that was 6 months old, its the marrow you have to worry about, if you can cut some to the size your going to use and put them in a box for about a year you should be ok, it has a kind of cold feel to it when its still too wet to me,
carpblaster

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
Is the smell the only reason or will they shrink? Would microwaving work (we have an extra in the basement so I won't ruin the good one).
Yes they will shrink. That is the reason for the 180 day wait before any official scoring can be done. I would wait the 6 months at a minimum, a little linger will help with the stink of the marrow as well.

Top Bottom