Endangered

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rmartin

After reading many positive comments about Cocobolo wood, I purchased some blanks and turned them this weekend. They turned out beautifully. However, I have a concern. When I sell my work, I like to tell the story of the woods used, and I'm not sure I can get behind some of the woods we use. Cocobolo is listed as Extint/endanged in Costa Rica and supplies from other regions are dwindling which is driving up the price. I'm not concerned with the price, but rather the deforestation of the species. I don't mean to single out Cocobolo because there are other woods such as Zebrawood that are also in danger. I'm a born salesman, but I need to believe in the product I'm selling.

I believe if you care about the envirionment, you should stop using plastic diposable pens and switch to a hand turned renewable resource wooden pen which will last a lifetime. To me, it's a no-brainer, but if I then turn around and use a wood which is endangered, well, it defeats the purpose and I'm uncomfortable with that.

I'm wondering what everyone thinks about this subject?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

chitswood

I'm thinking that its time to get the new trees growing, I don't like ebony at $60 per bd ft.

I've seen several sites that show the work they've done for several rainforests and they allow you to adopt trees, as well as harvest them when they're ready.
Might be worth googling

hrigg

According to this site...
http://www.exotichardwoods-southamerica.com/cocobolo.htm
...it's considered a relatively stable and sustainable resource in most of its native habitat. Costa Rica claiming it to be endangered was questioned back in '92 because of unverifiable reporting. It's possible that the price and scarcity is artificially enhanced like that of diamonds. Just one company of several claims to have 50,000 trees growing on a plantation, and if you can afford it, it's available as flooring. That doesn't sound too endangered to me.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Rather than either speculate on a specie's status, it is easily verifiable through the S.I.T.E.S. Treaty. www.sites.org Cocobolo is not listed as either threatened or endangered.

Rmartin

I'm not familar with that site Lou. I'm getting pop-ups and there is no info on this discussion on the page link you provided. Is that some search site?

DocStram

Originally posted by Boomer
<br />I agree with your issue with the endangered woods. It does kinds mess with your mind of morals if you do sit down and think about it.

Moral issues extend beyond endangered wood. What about pen kits from China? I wonder if the pens we sell are from kits made by children who were kidnapped to be enslaved in factories? Not to mention Harbor Freight .... a store full of tools exported from a Communist, oppressive country.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom