elm burl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from David Keller

David Keller

I was lucky enough to harvest a fair bit of this stuff locally. I hope it's all as pretty as the first chunk I turned. I didn't really have a form in mind when I started, and I think I may have finished without figuring out what I was making.

This is about 5 or 6 inches in diameter, and it's finished with BLO and wipe-on poly.

Comments, criticism, and suggestions appreciated.
elm-burl-1.jpgelm-burl-2.jpgelm-burl-3.jpgelm-burl-4.jpgelm-burl-5.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

el_d

Wow Great piece of wood there David, you did a really nice job.

What is the wall thickness?
How do you hollow it out?

David Keller

Thanks fellas!

...What is the wall thickness?
How do you hollow it out?

Thanks, Lupe.

I hollow this one mostly with my monster hollowing rig, but I like to do the shoulder area by hand using a swan neck midi hollow master(Sorby).

I'd guess the wall thickness is about 1/8" near the opening and thickens up to about 3/16 or 1/4 at the base. I don't ever measure things, but that's my best guess.

SDB777

For not know what you were making during the turn, it sure came out great!!! And I don't think you could have planned that piece any better....

Scott (A+) B

gallianp

The only thing I see wrong is that you did not send me the wood so I could turn it!,,

A real beauty! Thanks for sharing the photo!

robutacion

Hi David,

Sure a exquisite piece you got there, mate...!:wink:

Funny that, not that long ago I have mention that in many of my turnings, I start without any plans or ideas and simply, follow what the timbers says to me...! Most though that I was crazy, today 2 posts in here, have expressed that exact fact so, I'm to believe that others out there have the natural ability to listen to what the wood says to you, making then believe that if I'm crazy, I'm certainly not alone.

I don't know about you but you certainly are creating pieces that appear to have followed the wood desire and not exactly yours or anyone else's so, you are either learning to listen to the wood or you have great creative impulses, in fact a little of both is a ideal combinations so, and whatever is, is working...!:wink:

Take care

Cheers
George

Russell Eaton

David that is a incredible piece of wood/ art. You have to be happy with the results. I think it is one of my all time favorite hollow forms to date. Thanks for showing. Russell

phillywood

David, that's very beautiful indeed. Last night I was lucky to have a local member who has a very large Woodtek lathe to help me to get the feeling of turning bowls and he was gracious enough to let me try his tools and really get the feel of the turning. as we were turning the block of oak which I am not sure what kind it was ,but it had lots of eyes and this worm hole in it that was really weird the way the darn worm worked it's way into the wood, anyways, he asked me to envision some shape as I was turning and I ended up with a totally different shape that I was planning to finish the bowl. It was just that when you start tooling the wood you can't tell what the next 1/8" of the wood is going to have in store for you.
I love how you went with the flow of the wood and let it take the life of its own. I have been watching your recent turnings and they look very inspiring. Very nice job and I envy the relaxation your getting with turning, since I had lots of fun last night.
BTW, I am not quite done with that bowl and I'll hope to post a pic of it soon.

David Keller

Thanks to everyone for the kind comments!

Awesome looking turning.Could you post a pic of the bottom also

I don't have a photo of the bottom, but it rests on a small, slightly concave area just like the bottom of the yellow box burl form that I posted yesterday. I generally avoid feet on my turnings, as I like the way they sit with just a small area for support. IMHO, they also feel better in the hand without a distinct foot.

Top Bottom