Ecualyptus Burl with Turqoise Inlay

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from markgum

markgum

here is my first stab at turning a Burl Bowl and adding crushed turqoise to the cracks that revealed themselves as the turning was done. I wasnt' sure what it would come out like when I started. But, now that it is done, it will never leave my prized shelf. Several people have offered to buy it, but when I say $10K they say maybe a smaller less expensive one. Call my crazy but one of your first pieces that turn out nice is HARD to let go of.
comments welcome.

1_euc_bowl3.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Looking good, Mark!

I finished one with a Tas Eucalyptus blank I got from Nolan. I need to get off my lazy tail and post a photo of it and a matching pen I made with some of the wood left after trimming.

I really like the turquoise!

Mark,
That is beautiful and I understand you feelings, maybe I'm just crass or something.. let someone offer me $10k and see how fast I can get it wrapped up before they change their mind.:biggrin::biggrin:

It's definitely a worthwhile piece of art.. I'm a freak for turquoise anyway.

mickr

very nice first try at something new..attractive bowl..keep trying & post your efforts and amaze us with your progress

el_d

Really cool Mark, I like the turqouise veining in the wood, Nice contrast. Does the turqouise go all the way around the bowl?

markgum

Really cool Mark, I like the turqouise veining in the wood, Nice contrast. Does the turqouise go all the way around the bowl?

Thanks. The turqouise does not go all the way around. the other side of the bowl was pretty solid on the out side but punky on the inside. I might have been able to turn it down a little thinner, to allow some cracks to come through, however, it felt right to stop at that thickness.

Fred

VERY nice bowl and the inlay accentuates the wood just right. I also believe that you were correct to have stopped when you did. That voice on your shoulder is the future and we should all learn to listen to it and do as it suggests everytime with no questions asked!

Top Bottom