easiest way to square up an egg blank?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from emccarthy

emccarthy

I'm looking to start doing some egg-o-scopes in the near future, but have come across a little snag - how do I square up the ends to be perpendicular to the hole? I've made one egg so far, and didn't think anything of it at the time, but I got lucky with my blank - it was actually square, but if I have a piece of stock that isn't, I'm sure I'll run into issues.

according to the instructions I've got, I have to cut a bit bigger than final length, drill the hole, then sand/cut to final length(I assume this is to ensure the ends are square). Perhaps there's a better way?

Thanks in advance for any ideas

el_d

I use a paddle bit to square up the area, It has the center mark already set. Or you could use a forstner bit, I dont have one but I imagine it would work too.

hilltopper46

I made a wooden mandrel with a bit of a taper on it that I could slip the blank onto after it was drilled. I then chucked that into my lathe and used a parting tool to square the ends.

beck3906

I had Johnny CNC make me an adapter sleeve to fit over the shaft when I use a 3/4 inch trimmer head. The 3/4 gives just enough clearance to let the bushings set correctly. I recently purchased a milling head to fit which will give me additional clearance for the bushings.

I popped for the cost of the sleeve as I just got tired of trying to make thuings work.

Top Bottom