Dropped all my bushings on the floor.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

garymcnutt

Well I did the unthinkable and managed to pull all my pen bushings off the shelf and land on the floor. Had them on a neat magnetic organizer with posts and labels. Though I was being organized. Managed to put a large magnetic hose holder on the same shelf and yep, you guessed it. When I grabbed that it was attached to the bushing holder and I had everything hit the fan. .. so to speak.

Anyway found a handy guide that I will be using a lot: https://www.pennstateind.com/library/bushing_book.pdf

I learn something new every day......whether I want to or not.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jrista

Yeah, dropping bushings can be a real pain!

I've done a couple of things to help resolve that problem, and have one more thing planned. First, I purchased a couple of organizational tools:

1. PSI's Bushing Buddy
2. A set of simple clear plastic boxes, that contain "bead jars", little round plastic jars with their own screw-on caps.

For all my standard bushings for use with a mandrel, I put them on the bushing buddies. These are pretty handy, and even if you drop them, your bushings don't scatter all over the place. Or at least, each set stays together. For all my TBC bushings, I use the bead jars stuff.

The last thing I've wanted to do, and haven't done yet as I am not sure if I can with my current engraving laser (not powerful enough, most likely), is to engrave the bushing code on each bushing of each set, so that WHEN I drop them (even just one bushing), I have some concrete reference that helps me sort them out, or restore the one lost bushing to its proper organizer. I don't know if I can get a powerful enough laser for my current engraver. I have a rotary jig for it, and should be able to set up something with a little mandrel, that I can put my bushings on to engrave them with. If I can, then that's the plan.

glw20109

I have always dreaded doing that. The book is an amazing resource, if you had a metal lathe, I guess no real reason to ever buy a bushing again. The bushing buddy looks like a great idea, could almost 3D print something similar. Sounds like a new project for me.

Darios

Time to break Wayne's guide and ye olde calipers. FWIW I went to these bead containers a while ago because I lived in terror of that happening to me.

egnald

Yikes! That's horrible. I feel your pain. - I went to the little screw top bead bottles with 12 bottles in a plastic box. I almost have 3 of them full already. I have also considered making something up by drilling holes in a board and then using 1/4-inch bolts, fender washers, and a wingnut to hold the bushings -- kind of like a hack on the Bushing Buddy Organizer that PSI sells. Like the Bushing Buddy It has the additional benefit of being able to store the bushings in order - for example, tip/nib bushing on the bottom, then the center bushing, and finally the cap bushing on top, but the bead bottles are working just fine. - Dave

glw20109

Attachments

• bushing holder.jpg
    bushing holder.jpg
    288.2 KB · Views: 83

glw20109

Turn between center's and you won't worry about bushings.
I thought you still needed bushings even if you turned between centers. I use a mandrel, I read to loosen the tailstock and rotate the bushings/barrells several times as you turn to off set the 'bowing' problem of a mandrel. Correct me if I am wrong, but unless you are making kitless pens and working with some very small tolerances how 'off center' or oval can a blank turned on a mandrel be? Is it actually perceptible? Just learning and trying to improve, I'll take all the replies and instructions.,

jrista

Well that was quick, didn't have to look far. If you have a 3D printer you're in luck. Found this set, very similar to bushing buddy on Thingverse. https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3460731/files
I will be printing this weekend.
I really need to get myself a 3D Printer. This is basically like the PSI Bushing Buddy...but, those are somewhat expensive...

I guess...how much does it cost, filament wise, to print something like this?

Ray-CA

Well I did the unthinkable and managed to pull all my pen bushings off the shelf and land on the floor. Had them on a neat magnetic organizer with posts and labels. Though I was being organized. Managed to put a large magnetic hose holder on the same shelf and yep, you guessed it. When I grabbed that it was attached to the bushing holder and I had everything hit the fan. .. so to speak.

Anyway found a handy guide that I will be using a lot: https://www.pennstateind.com/library/bushing_book.pdf

I learn something new every day......whether I want to or not.
I just decided to grab a Sharpie and number all of the bushings and the corresponding container. Nothing elaborate, just 1, 2, 3, 4, etc.

Kenny Durrant

I went to Harbor Frieght and bought a plastic organizer. It's similar to a fishing tackle box or button organizer. Each box has about 24 smaller boxes that snap closed. I number each small box a made a spread sheet to list what number box goes with each kit. Good luck sorting them all out.

glw20109

I really need to get myself a 3D Printer. This is basically like the PSI Bushing Buddy...but, those are somewhat expensive...

I guess...how much does it cost, filament wise, to print something like this?
I haven't calculated it exactly, but from an online calculator, less than a dollar. Depending on your printer if can take a while, hours and hours, depending on your printer, but that is just machine time, while you are doing something else.

egnald

I know, I often overkill, but here it is....

I keep two sets of bushings, a new, pristine bagged, set and an open used, work-in-process set of bushings in each of 12 little plastic screw-top bottles. Then the 12 bottles are stored in a plastic box. I color code my pen kits according to style for storing my instruction sheets, notes, etc. I carry this color coding across the pen kit storage drawers and my bushing storage which helps make them much easier to find. Thumbnail Pictures attached.

Unless the size differences are blatantly obvious, I break out the calipers to make sure I have them in the appropriate ends of the tubes for turning. It can be pretty frustrating to ruin a great blank because the bushing locations got messed up.

Regards,
Dave

PS I bought These Darice Bead Storage Systems (12 bottles in a 6.3 x 4.8 inch box) in our local WalMart and I don't remember them being very expensive. I just checked online and inflation has obviously hit the hobby and craft market as well - Amazon had them for $18 (Seems Grossly High, I doubt that I will be buying any more at that price).

IMG_2100.JPG IMG_2099.JPG IMG_2093 Cropped.jpg

philipff

My advise; leave them on the floor and use a digital caliper for all your measurements.. Take each part out out of the kit-bag and find the ones that will meet the metal and carefully measure those pieces so that you match each part of your kit to the wood/acrylic. Works for me for 10+ years. P

glw20109

Here is the result of the 3D printing I mentioned above. Printed 5 of the holders, less than a dollar for the five. I plan to print the storage box for these and print the labels.

Attachments

• bush1.jpg
    bush1.jpg
    464.5 KB · Views: 56

BULLWINKLE

I like the Harbor Freight idea and price is great but reviews are that it's cheaply made and breaks easily. See reviews

immls

I like the Harbor Freight idea and price is great but reviews are that it's cheaply made and breaks easily. See reviews
I use these, but will be switching. They are ok but hard to fit all the label I'd sticker on and that fails sometimes. They fall off. I want to keep the bushings, original bag with note of whick kit. I've also used empty mint tins from lidl

TonyL

I bought an Dremel engraver and engraved the size and abbreviation of the kit on my TBC versions. I have had all types of containers. I still drop them, find them under the lathes, equipment etc. At least, one I find then, I cam identify them.

derekdd

I use old 35mm film containers, free from any camera shop
I use something very similar.

We use Home Chef food delivery serice and they often send out sauces/pastes/etc in small plastic translucent jars with white caps. I use a sharpie to label the tops.

jttheclockman

Have to tell you and do not laugh. But just recently I need some more small compartment fishing tackle boxes as I like to call them for the many different trinkets I have been buying for my watch part pens. I seen these ones that are basically small bottles that come with screw tops and 30 fit in a box. So I bought a couple because I have multiple sets of many bushings I use. They were inexpensive so why not. Well this now makes the third system I bought to store my bushings in. I got the one Mark just shown from HF and also bought a more elaborate set from HF also years ago. Have to say with embarrassment that my bushings still sit in a large plastic bag still in all those little baggies they come in. I like what Turner's Warehouse now does and ships them in those squeeze bottles. Pretty clever. When ever I need bushings I still dump large bag out to rummage to find the ones I need. I swear one of these days I will make a decision on what system to go to. Or maybe I will try to find those squeeze bottles Turners use and add another system. Anyone know where I can get those little bottles ??

BULLWINKLE

I wonder if a pharmacy would sell empty pill bottles ? Large enough to label and lids tight enough to keep from accidentally spilling them.

jttheclockman

I wonder if a pharmacy would sell empty pill bottles ? Large enough to label and lids tight enough to keep from accidentally spilling them.
You can buy pill bottles on line. get them by the case. Any size you want. Get with or without lids. I lost the link I bought mine at. I bought without lids because I use them to cast bottle stopper blanks. May have to get back into that at some time.

jrista

I am still using mostly those little screw-top plastic bottles. I do use them, but, there are times when I'll forget to close the bottle and knock it over, or end up mixing up two sets of bushings.

I've read about this coating you can put on metal, so that an ordinary laser engraver (i.e. diode based, rather than say CO2 which is much more powerful and capable of directly etching metal) can "engrave" onto metal. What really happens is this coating gets bonded to the metal wherever it was laser etched, and the rest washes off. Anyway...I figured, if I could etch my bushings with this coating stuff, then at least I could have, on each and every bushing (I buy the rather expensive TBC bushings, except when I'm buying a pen from Turner's Warehouse as they ship really nice dual-mode bushings that work TBC or on a Mandrel!), so that even if I mix them up, I have at least something ON the bushings themselves to help me sort it all out.

I was also thinking recently, I could not only etch the kit name, or id, or something on them, but maybe also which end of the blank and which blank, maybe also the actual diameter in decimal inches, so that all the information I needed was handy, on the bushings. Should reduce the amount of time I have to fiddle with calipers to figure out which bushing goes where and for what kit. :)

Ah, and the name of this coating is: Cermark. Had to look it up.

dogcatcher

I use the wire shower curtain rings. With a tag made of card stock and covered in packing tape with needed information. This goes in a plastic shoe box with the kits, and everything else for that kit.

RunnerVince

I thought you still needed bushings even if you turned between centers. I use a mandrel, I read to loosen the tailstock and rotate the bushings/barrells several times as you turn to off set the 'bowing' problem of a mandrel. Correct me if I am wrong, but unless you are making kitless pens and working with some very small tolerances how 'off center' or oval can a blank turned on a mandrel be? Is it actually perceptible? Just learning and trying to improve, I'll take all the replies and instructions.,
Bushings can be useful for getting close to final size before switching to TBC. And there are "TBC" mandrels that still use bushings as well. But "true" TBC doesn't require bushings.

As for how off center a blank turned on a mandrel can be? For me, the only metric is noticeable, and I had lots of pens with noticeable nonconcentricity prior to switching to TBC. I'd estimate as much as 1/64 or maybe even 1/32 in the worst cases.

jttheclockman

well I did it I went on Amazon and bought those squeeze bottles like Turners warehouse sells and gives out when you order bushings from them. I love the squeeze action and clear bottles. I will make a box to hold them all and will just place in my drawer on the cart that is dedicated to pen kits. They are plenty big to write all the kits they work with. Bought 100 for $25. way more than I need but use them for other things I am sure. Maybe I will commission Ken to make me a box. His work is great and neat. I marvel at all his jigs he makes.

Woodchipper

Almost as bad as spilling a case of drill bits. At least the bits are marked for easy sorting. I store my bushings in an organizer and still in the bags they came in.

Top Bottom