Drilling Help

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Wheaties

With the larger kits, Jr. Gent. and larger (only 12.5 mm and larger), I have trouble controlling the "wobble" I get when drilling. I drill on the lathe and have used a center bit. Do I need to start with a center bit, then a large bit, then larger, then larger, until I get up to size?

It causes the barrel to not be perfectly straight all the way through and the tube is a very very tight fit on one end. What do I need to do to fix this?

Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Paul in OKC

This is about the only thing that I agree on concerning HS/TS alignment. It can definately be an issue when drilling. Make sure your blanks are square on the end, maybe skimming the 'face' with a tool before drilling. Using a center drill to start is an ok thing, too, but I'm not sure about working up from smaller bits up to the last being the size needed. If the first hole wonders, the rest will follow it. I would make sure to take very small bites, even as little as 1/8" deep at a time with easy pressure on the crankin'

Wheaties

Thanks guys! My headstock and tailstock are aligned. I will try squaring the face of the blank before drilling. That never crossed my mind, but it makes sense.

Any other thoughts?

KenV

You need good, well ground drill bits. Have seen several that had the center of the sharpening not at the center of the bit --that tends to promote drifting --

Using Harbor Freight drill bits stright out of the box?? Drill doctor or better yet, a friend who is a tool and die pro can make a big difference with cheaper less exacting standard drill bits.

I paid the bucks for a set of Norseman bits and have not regretted it as the "hassle factor" went way way down --

I was taught to start the drilling with the tailstock a bit loose to let the bit find of what is turning and then lock it down -

Top Bottom