Drilling Blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rodtod11

What is the preferred method to drill the hole in blanks? I cut my blanks, use a small steel rule to draw a line from corner to corner, set the blank in a clamp/pen press I bought from Rockler. Then move the bit down to make the point of the bit touch the center of the X. The turn on the drill and slowly begin to drill. Everytime the hole is off center. Or when it is centered, the hole out the bottom of the blank is off center.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

navycop

Use a center punch to mark the hole. Then use center bits to start the hole.. Some people cut the blank alittle long and drill just past what they need. Then cut the blank. I think that avoids blowouts, but it might help here..

fernhills

Hi, i drill on the lathe now. When you do use the drill press you have to cut your speed down. Drill short and cut your hole so not to chip out at the end, make sure your blank is longer then the tube to do that.

bluetongue

Try centering the vice on the drill press table and clamp or bolt the vice to the drill press table...... this ensures every blank will be dead centre.

Is your drill press table set at 90 degrees to the drill?....... Use a try square to check

Do you have any play with regards to your quill?.... if so you need to take up the play so there is no drill wobble.

With larger holes required for ball point and fountain pens I'm now doing them on the lathe. As I'm pushing my luck using the pen vice.

food for thought

I do all of my drilling on the lathe also. As far as drilling on the drill press goes. I agree with bluetongue here. You need to make sure your table is perpendicular to the drill then the blank is 90 degrees. If you are off a little bit it will cause your holes to be off. If the table is off a little and the blank is off a little things are not going to be good at all. Also those drills need to be sharp or you will be forcing them and they can drift. I do not drill part way through then cut the blank to expose the finished hole.

I don't have that many issues with the exit hole. If you are having these issues you should probably try to figure out why you are having them.

Last edited:

walshjp17

Moved to drilling on the lathe as others have mentioned. There are too many variable with a drill press -- loose quill, table out of kilter, etc.

BSea

I also drill on the lathe. But you can get off center drilling on the lathe too. Unless you are working with segmented blanks, being a little off center won't hurt the look of the finished pen (in most cases). More important than off center is the runout from the drill.

If I need to be more precise in my drilling, I start with a smaller hole then work my way to the final hole size. Sometimes I might drill 3 times to get to the final hole size.

Last edited:

Tom T

I had the same issue. Had everything true up, and it till happened.
Turn out I was trying to drill to fast and that caused the bit to drift. Use very little pressure on the drill handle. Do not let it get hot either. Short cuts and let up let he chips out.
Very light touch sharp bits. Good bits help also, colt has been the best. They stay sharp for ever.

tim self

One more thing regarding drill presses. Depending on the quality. Sometimes when you press the drill into the blank, the table will flex down on the front. Combined with drill bit drift, this flexing will cause the bit to run off center on the out end. Cut you a couple of blocks to set under the front end of the table to prevent the flex and drill slower.

Or start drilling on the lathe.

Dan Hintz

On the lathe, for me, too... no need for a specialized chuck, I just use the spigot jaws.

Though I will say this... just as with the drill press, if the lathe is not lined up properly, you will still drill off-center. Make sure you have good alignment from end to end.

Last edited:
Top Bottom