Drill press question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

latelearner

I just got a 10'' benchtop drill press ( Northern Industrial from Northern Tools ) and I can't figure out how to change the belt speed. This is a five speed drill and the owner's manual doesn't address the procedure. I called Northern Tool and asked four different people, but nobody could help me. I thought all you need to do is loosen the belt by turning the two screws on the side of the motor mount, but after loosening them, I still can't budge the motor enough to loosen the belt. Any suggestions or tips will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Larry

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Thumbs

Is this the one with the little locking lever/handle just in front of the motor on the right side? It might not be immediately obvious that you have to loosen that. Mine has something similar to that. I changed my speed to something between 800 & 1000 RPMs a few years back and have never changed it for drilling anything turning related since! Might as well have been a single speed instead of 12 or 16, I forgot even that. That speed works for drilling brass casings, corian, any woods or other plastics, too. Just keep your bits clean and sharp........

latelearner

Thanks for the link Mike. I don't know why Northern Tool didn't send me that manual. Instead, all I got was a poorly writtn set of assembly instructions.

Top Bottom