Drill press, Funny Noise

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aderhammer

Anymore when I use the drill press an audible whine starts coming from the motor, started really high pitched but now it's more of a warbling mid range sound (almost out of some sci-fi movie). Is this bushings, bearings, or brushes going bad on the motor? or could it be that the motor needs to be cleaned, I'll check later as to the model #, but it is an older Grizzly.

Randy_

Just a guess since making an accurate diagnosis like this is almost impossible. It is probably bearings since the motor probably won't have brushes.

It wouldn't hurt to take it apart and clean it; but chances are that won't help.

Just to cover all of the bases, did you loosen/remove the belt from the drive pulley when locating the noise? It might also be a belt noise or a spindle bearing.

CHICAGOHAND

When i used to turn a wrench for a living a customer called and asked what they thought the problem was with there car and then proceeded to explain the noise.
My coworker asked the customer to bring the car closer to the phone so he could take a look at it.
That was 20 years ago and it still makes me laugh thinking about it.
Sorry Aderhammer I couldnt resist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom