Drill Press Bearings

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

AKBeaver

My El Cheapo $50 drill press had quite a bit of wobble when the quill was extended. I checked run out with my dial indicator and found the chuck had over 10 thousands of run out. I removed the chuck and the shaft only had a little over 1, but I found that it jumped to over 5 or more with the slightest of side loading of the pulley. I did some more checking and the bearings did not turn very smoothly. I have new bearings on order, but am stuck on how to remove the bearings inside the spindle sleeve. They are pressed into the sleeve, but there is no real meat to use a puller. Any suggestions?

fred holsclaw

what you need is what they call a inside bearing puller
funny looking little buger but it works
if you have a bearing dis in your city or a auto parts store that rents pullers ask them

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Any petrol head will know a trick or two of getting bearings out when they are in blind holes or where there isn't enough of the bearing to showing to use a puller. :biggrin:
1st is to use a copper or brass drift from the back. But you will need at least a small lip on the bearing.
2nd is to use a Rawlbolt ( but this is mainly for bling holes )
3rd is the hydraulic trick. Pack the hole with grease, and tap the shaft back in.

I'd try and make a slight taper on a drift so that it just goes inside the bearing.

But then again.....if it was a cheapie, then I'd buy another one and use the old one to make a drum sander or some other gadget:biggrin:

AKBeaver

Got It

Thanks Skip. Sometimes I can't see the forest for all the trees. Used a transfer punch to get the one out then was able to get the other side out. The Sleeve is only 1/8 inch thick and I was stuck on using a puller with nothing to bear the pressure on.

I drillk my blanks on the lathe and use the press for flat work and as suggested, a drum sander. I may look into upgrading to the Shop Fox in the other thread.

Dave

Top Bottom