Double sided tape

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

GRMiller

Recently awhile back I watched u-tube video where he used double sided tape for turning plates I think it was. What I am wondering if anyone here has used it or uses it and what brand? What are your thoughts. Like to Thank You in advance for any replies.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

monophoto

I've used double-sided duct tape. This has the advantage of having a fairly thick (heavy) fabric layer between the two adhesive faces; that makes it more rugged. Other kinds of double-sided tape have only a thin layer of paper or plastic holding the two adhesive faces together.

The tape I've used is Shurtape. I bought it at Lowes, and while I haven't looked for it recently, I presume they still carry it. The last time I saw it, it was on an upper shelf (well above eye level) in the tapes and adhesives area. Shurtape has a removable blue film over the outer adhesive layer.

My experience has been that it works reasonably well - recognizing that it is only adhesive tape and not a more positive fixing. One hint - make sure both surfaces are flat and clean (especially, make sure that there is no dust on the faces), apply the tape to one side, peel the film away, and then press the other side in place. Put under pressure for a few minutes - clamping is ideal, but holding the 'glueup' in place with tailstock pressure for a few minutes is fine. But the key is to wait a few minutes before starting to turn. Ten minutes should be sufficient to allow the adhesive to set up.

I try to keep the tailstock in place as insurance whenever I'm turning. When it is necessary to remove the tailstock to finish off a piece, use very light cuts.

MarkD

I second what Louie said.
The double sided Suretape ( carpet tape ) from Lowes works great for turning pendants and other small objects. I have never tried it on larger items like plates. I would definitely use the tailstock as much as possible.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
+1 on the double faced tape from WC

I've only used it on small projects though, so I can't say how well it would work on something larger like a plate.

Dan Masshardt

I use the double sided duck tape - light blue color. From Walmart.

The second roll I bought wasn't as sticky as the first though. Maybe a bad batch?

It's a lot cheaper than the 'turners' tape though.

kingkeyman

I use the double sided duck tape - light blue color. From Walmart.

The second roll I bought wasn't as sticky as the first though. Maybe a bad batch?

It's a lot cheaper than the 'turners' tape though.

I think the government made them change their formula for the adhesive due to the criminal element using their products in a harmful manner.

Old Codger

I totally agree with Louie and Mark, I've used Lowes Suretape (double sided carpet tape) a number of times when turning smaller pendants, etc. and have never been disappointed! Besure and allow the tape time to secure itself to both pieces and bring up the tail stock to use as a pressure clamp and you won't be disappointed. The Lowes tape is considerably less inexpensive than other woodturners tapes and from my point of view, much better...less expensive, locally available and great holding power! Safe turning to all!

Top Bottom