Donation Drawing Opinions

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SteveG

As I look at this very long list of very nice prizes, I started thinking (uh-oh...trouble ahead). I expect that many of the prize winners that have been active in this amazing universe of pen turning/pen making for more than a year or two will find that many of the prizes are duplicates of tools and equipment that they already own. So I started thinking further (Oh boy...double trouble!). Would it be possible to manage the prize offerings so the recipient could avoid duplication, or at least be more likely to be getting something that is more on their "wish list"? I do not know if this has ever ben tried or discussed, but because the standard 'set' of pen turner's equipment seems to be fairly common to each turner, it might be worth trying. Thoughts any one? (I realize one answer is classified adds, the great equalizer.) I am going to stop thinking now, so the world is safe for at least one more day!

Karl_99

With this list of awesome prizes, a winner may get something they already have...but they can accept the prize graciously and 1) keep it, 2) trade it, 3) donate it or 4) sell it.

I think the logistics and imposition on the Bash team to make sure a prize is not a duplicate is way beyond reasonable.

OKLAHOMAN

The problem here is we had the Mad Hawaiian thinking again and that scares me. So the hayseed Okie thought the only way that could happen is if as the winning member is drawn he is notified and told he is # 1 so he can pick which prize he wants then #2 and so forth down the line.

firewhatfire

Pick a prize is a mistake. Will draw it out another month. Just like the bid process for vacation at my work. Everyone wants th same week off and only 1 gets it.

I liked all the prizes I want just in case I am drawn

Last edited:

SteveJ

I'll take any prize! If you get one that is a duplicate of something you have, you can donate it to me....I'll even pay postage...

There is only ONE prize being offered which would be a duplicate in my shop - and it is the glue...like I wont need more of that soon enough!

Last edited:

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
As I look at this very long list of very nice prizes, I started thinking (uh-oh...trouble ahead). I expect that many of the prize winners that have been active in this amazing universe of pen turning/pen making for more than a year or two will find that many of the prizes are duplicates of tools and equipment that they already own. So I started thinking further (Oh boy...double trouble!). Would it be possible to manage the prize offerings so the recipient could avoid duplication, or at least be more likely to be getting something that is more on their "wish list"? I do not know if this has ever ben tried or discussed, but because the standard 'set' of pen turner's equipment seems to be fairly common to each turner, it might be worth trying. Thoughts any one? (I realize one answer is classified adds, the great equalizer.) I am going to stop thinking now, so the world is safe for at least one more day!

Interesting thought, but I don't believe that would play well with members. It would no longer be a random drawing because of the interdependencies created by the wish list. Player A's preferences would affect what Player B receives, and so on. As you say, the Deals forum would be a good solution for those who want to sell or trade their prize.

Bob Wemm

Interesting thought, but I don't believe that would play well with members. It would no longer be a random drawing because of the interdependencies created by the wish list. Player A's preferences would affect what Player B receives, and so on. As you say, the Deals forum would be a good solution for those who want to sell or trade their prize.

Right on the knocker Jeff, that would be very unfair to the subsequent winners. Besides someone might pick the one I want.:wink::wink:

BTW. Great list of prizes and THANK YOU to all who donated them. This is a great place, I love it.

Bob.

Last edited:

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
One thing I've somehow neglected to say:

Thank you to JEFF for the prizes he provided as well! While most of the Bash is funded by the donations of members and businesses, Jeff always buys a few extra high-ticket items to make sure that people go home happy from the donation drawing!

In addition to keeping the site running, he makes sure we're happy - not a job most could do!

:)

GoodTurns

Possibility for future drawings...run it like the "basket raffles" we see at some shows. Your contribution entitles you to X "tickets" that you can put in any of the drawing spots. I am definitely not a programmer, but it could maybe tie in with a poll (does the system retain who voted how?)...just a thought... and I will be thrilled to win a prize of any kind ...I am 0 for however many donation drawings there have been! Fantastic collection this year!

One thing I've somehow neglected to say:

Thank you to JEFF for the prizes he provided as well! While most of the Bash is funded by the donations of members and businesses, Jeff always buys a few extra high-ticket items to make sure that people go home happy from the donation drawing!

In addition to keeping the site running, he makes sure we're happy - not a job most could do!

:)

Amen. A big thank you to EVERYONE. Especially Jeff. :biggrin:

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
OK ladies and gents, the time for the drawing is drawing near :biggrin:

I added a photo tent setup to the drawing. I'd like to win that! My photo "tent" is a cardboard box with tissue paper over big "windows" cut out of the sides. Works, but it's ugly!

A few bits of info:

• There are currently 225 entrants. I'll pull the final list just before the drawing on Saturday morning.
  • The entrants include all who bought a mug or donated $25, winning bidders for the prior year mugs (for the auctions finished by this Saturday morning), and the Bash planning team.
  • There are 42 prizes with a combined value of $5660. That's a record, and almost double last year I believe :biggrin:
  • If there are prizes left over after all contest winners are taken care of, I'll do another drawing in mid-March from those who didn't win anything in the main drawing on Saturday.
I wish everyone GOOD LUCK!

Ed McDonnell

Jeff - I don't know how you pulled this all together, but this has to be one of the most amazing things I've ever seen on any forum.

Thanks (to you and the many who helped you pull it off).

Ed

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Jeff - I don't know how you pulled this all together, but this has to be one of the most amazing things I've ever seen on any forum.

Thanks (to you and the many who helped you pull it off).

Ed

Ed, you are right and wrong. It IS the MOST amazing community on the twisted mass of pipes that is the internet. But I am just one cog in a big wheel! The people who deserve the cheers are Bash Team 10 and their fearless leaders [profile=mbroberg]Mike Broberg[/profile] and [profile=Displaced Canadian]Chris Pukalo[/profile]

Seriously, I work a few problems here and there. Herd a few cats when necessary. But really my only important job is to assemble a team of high quality very motivated people, give them whatever tools and support they need, and get out of the way. Oh, and pack and ship 200 mugs :biggrin: But I even had help there, so none of this is all me.

What really makes it fun for me and the bash team is to read about how much you enjoyed it. Many of us lived and breathed it for weeks, and it's easy to get a little jaded, but the feeling when it's all over is just pure exhilaration because we have done a damn good job pulling off one of the best parties one the internet.

We work hard, honestly we're glad when it's done, but we do enjoy it. I know I do.

On behalf of the bash team, thanks to everyone for participating! You make it all worthwhile!

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
What really makes it fun for me and the bash team is to read about how much you enjoyed it. Many of us lived and breathed it for MONTHS, and it's easy to get a little jaded, but the feeling when it's all over is just pure exhilaration because we have done a damn good job pulling off one of the best parties one the internet.

We work hard, honestly we're glad when it's done, but we do enjoy it. I know I do.

On behalf of the bash team, thanks to everyone for participating! You make it all worthwhile!
. . .

brownsfn2

I almost bought that exact same light box setup last night until I saw this. Now I have to wait for the drawing to be over. :)

Seriously great bash. The IAP has given so much it is easy to donate every year. The mug and drawing are just a bonus.

Thanks to all who managed and ran the Bash! I appreciate it!

glenspens

This is my first year and i don't know how you guys and gals pull it in...but i an glad you do. I looked at this forum some years back and just moved on,boy wish i had backed up and took another look back then. Great bunch of people on here from all walks of life Thanks for all you do to help others.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
I'm just about ready to do the drawing.

I previously reported that there were 225 entrants. There were a couple undiscovered duplicates in there due to different case or trailing spaces on the username. So the final number is 215 entrants and 42 prizes.

I'm going to get a fresh cup of coffee, then I'll do the drawing and post the results.

Good luck everyone!

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
I'm just about ready to do the drawing....
I'm going to get a fresh cup of coffee, then I'll do the drawing and post the results.

Good luck Skip! :biggrin:

I hope you use a decent mug for that coffee !!! I know where you can get one though.....:wink:

er....Mr Jeff, before you do the draw, did I ever tell you how much I admire you??? You are a wonderfull pillar of society........ a true champion.......you should be president......you have a great hairstyle........

.....and.....

...I know where you live!!:wink:

Top Bottom