Donate Pens to Servicemen and Women

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Gary Max

Incoming mail was slow last week we did not collect very many pens.:frown:
Sure hope it picks up this week.
PM's have been sent to everyone requesting my address.
I would really like to thank the good folks who have taken the time to help out with this pen raising event.

bitshird

Gary 4 pens are on their way, I put then in a padded envelope, three slimlines and a Euro in the inexpensive sleeves they should be there by Wed. or Thurs.

Gary Max

I spent some time this evening getting pens ready to ship and as of todays mail you good folks have donated :bananen_smilies051:112 pens:banana: to the Freedom Pen Project---with luck I will be shipping the second box of soon.

Verne

Gary
You should have received my priority box today. Please give me a quick shout, just to know that they have arrived.
I'm sure the numbers will kick up as soon as everyone goes through their stash and/or get some extra's made up. Seems like it should be closer to 1000 by now.
Vern

gmcnut

I got my box of corian today and my pen kits last week. Now the boys and I just need a Saturday in the shop....

Gary Max

Mark ---Thanks for jumping in and lending a hand.
I would of thought that a group of pen turning folks this large----there would of been more folks doing this.
Every pen we collect will make a great gift for someone in the armed services. They will know that the folks back home really do care.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Gary,

Do we have a "time line"??

Just back from DC and have to fill some orders (from the PRECEEDING SHOW, NOTHING from DC) However, I can order some red, white and blue blanks and turn them on the weekend of the 24th if that will work.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
It has been pointed out that my post could be taken as opposing this effort. Nothing could be further from the truth. The Freedom Pen Project is a favorite of mine. If you have the time, I encourage you to do your part to support our service men and women. http://www.freedompens.org/

I would not be so quick to think that this group is NOT doing this.

I participate in the Freedom Pen Project through my local Woodcraft on Veteran's Day each year. I was one of the organizers and feel a certain sense of ownership in the event. I typically spend the entire day teaching folks to turn pens as well as turning pens for the Project.

There are also a number of us who have taken to contributing pens in the names of our customers. It's a fairly recent development for me, but for each customer who buys one of my pens, I send a pen to the Project in my customer's name.

Also, keep in mind that this is the INTERNATIONAL Association of Penturners. In addition to the FPP, we have the Canadian "Pens for Peacekeepers" project which originated right here on this forum.

While I can appreciate your desire to make this a special IAP event and that we want to support the request for 6000 pens, not everyone follows the same calendar or supports the same organizations.

I enthusiastically support your call for contributions, but think the focus needs to be kept on doing good works like this year round and for a variety of worthy causes.

Mark ---Thanks for jumping in and lending a hand.
I would of thought that a group of pen turning folks this large----there would of been more folks doing this.
Every pen we collect will make a great gift for someone in the armed services. They will know that the folks back home really do care.

Last edited:

Gary Max

Ed ---thanks for jumping in and lending a hand.

Lou----I never thought that we could raise 6000 pens----I was just trying to help the FFP ---they are out of pens----I understand that this may mean more to me than it does to you.

Verne

Gary, and Lou,
I'm sorry guys. I was sure we could raise 6000 pens! Still am! I too, like many others, have donated pens, blanks, money, and time to different projects of the IAP. I've also turned pens for the Freedom Pen Project. Think by last count about 200 pens came out of my small, hot, under financed garage, still found a few to send for this project.
Now I'm just asking...please see if you don't have at least one you could send for this project.
Thanks for at least considering the request, I'm sure the guys overseas thank you too.
Vern

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Little help, please.

I want to get some red, white and blue acrylic (or polyresin) blanks (about 25). Perfectly willing to buy them, but can't find any.

Prefer to avoid acrylester, as it takes longer to make those pens. Can anyone lead me to a good blank for this. (Ernie's is a little "girlie" for this particular project, I think).

HELP!!!

Gary Max

2nd box is going out on Monday-it contains 100 pens.
This brings our total up to 152 shipped.
We are already starting on the third box.:RockOn:

Attachments

• members.jpg
    members.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 84

Russianwolf

First 10 done

Sorry for the blured pic, found a fingerprint on the lens after I took the shots.

Cherry, BOW, Arbor Mist, Walnut, Chakte Viga, Maple, Canarywood, Padauk, Clemson Chaos, Cocobolo

10+ more to go, hopefully I'll have them all done tomorrow.

Attachments

• first 10.jpg
    first 10.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:

cdbakkum

Gary, Send me your address and I will mail a few. I AM NOT LISTED AS A MEMBER AND DO NOT KNOW HOW TO GET IT DONE.

Carl Bakkum
5001 E. Main St. # 515
Mesa Arizona 85205

mrplace

Gary, PM me your address. I have six (maybe more by the end of the week) to send now.

I am curious, and I am not really familiar with the organization. But how are the pens distributed? Are we sending pens that are only being given to senior enlisted and flag officers, or are any making it to the junior enlisted?

Gary Max

What we are doing is----donating as a group instead of as individuals. There will be a listing over at FPP that will show IAP donating all the pens collected.
The folks over at FPP ran out of pens and we are just trying to get some stock for them.
They have been around for several years ----there are several of us here at IAP that have been sending them pens over the years.
I just thought ---who better to lend a helping hand than pen makers like us.
So for the rest of this month----I am collecting pens----I pack them in a bubble pack and add a small IAP logo ---then forward the pens to the FPP. The donation is from all of us---not one person.
I have had members send 2 to 25 pens---we need all we can get. Every pen will be a gift and let them know we care and are thinking about them. This has been a real joy for us to do this----lots of folks are helping out.
I wil PM you my address---Thanks for helping.

Russianwolf

What we are doing is----donating as a group instead of as individuals. There will be a listing over at FPP that will show IAP donating all the pens collected.
The folks over at FPP ran out of pens and we are just trying to get some stock for them.
They have been around for several years ----there are several of us here at IAP that have been sending them pens over the years.
I just thought ---who better to lend a helping hand than pen makers like us.
So for the rest of this month----I am collecting pens----I pack them in a bubble pack and add a small IAP logo ---then forward the pens to the FPP. The donation is from all of us---not one person.
I have had members send 2 to 25 pens---we need all we can get. Every pen will be a gift and let them know we care and are thinking about them. This has been a real joy for us to do this----lots of folks are helping out.
I wil PM you my address---Thanks for helping.

I donated 20 last year. I received about a half dozen emails from servicemembers who were on the receiving end of the pens. They were all junior enlisted with the one exception of the email from a Chaplin who emailed for some of the men and women serving with him.

I can tell you that the emails were worth a lot more than the money I've received for other pens. :)

Gary Max

Just think----some day a servicemember will post a thank you here at IAP.
And it may of been the pen that you sent to FPP.
Every pen that leaves here has a IAP logo under the clip.
There is still two weeks for you to be a part of this effort.
Thanks again to all the folks who have jumped in and helped out.
You have no ideal how much this has meant to my wife and me.

rb765

Freedom Pens

I have been looking for an excuse to get out to the shop. I will have a few out in the next couple of days. Can you PM an address to send them to please?

Gary Max

Pen count Update---------first box 53 pens----second box 100 pen and we have collected 36 so far for the third box.
Keep sending those pens---
Thanks to everyone who has worked so hard to help

Russianwolf

Okay,
I've got as many done as I'll be able to before the deadline. Here's the second 10 that I just finished. Just need an address to ship all 20 off.

Ovangkol, Spaulted Irish Birch, Stab. Brown Maple Burl, Red Oak, Mimosa/Antler, Maple, Irish Hawthorn, Russian-Olive/Antler, Eucayptus, and Olive.

I may throw a few others in with these.

Attachments

• last ten.jpg
    last ten.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:

Daniel

My son and I made over 100 pens for the FPP in one shipment when it first started. they all ended up going to one unit in Iraq. We included a little note of thanks with each pen with just out name. From what I heard the entire unit realized that two people had taken the time to make all those pens. I had included my e-mail on the note and said I would be happy to hear from any of them. I got a couple of e-mails and thought that was pretty neat. then I got a real shock. a large envelope arrived int he mail. in it was a photo of the entire unit standing out there in the blistering dessert and a certificate of appreciation from them. I was stunned. looking at the photo along with the certificate really stuck me. here they are in those conditions thanking me for having spent a couple of days in a shop with my son. That certificate is the best payment I have ever gotten for a pen. It is now on display with my personal pen collection.

Daniel

Gary, I would love to, I even have about 25 sets in a box that are ear marked for them. Right now my time is really slim but I will see what I can do it the next few days.

Gary Max

As of today-------the third box has 95 pens in it-----------bringing the total up to
-------------------248 pens ---------------------Thanks to everyone here at IAP who has jumped in and helped out-----I will keep everyone posted as the month comes to a end and we get a grand total.

Top Bottom