Dog hair

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ssajn

Local Chapter Leader
A friend of mine called this morning to tell me his dog, a golden retriever passed away. He and his wife were very attached to their dog and wanted to know if it would be possible to make a pen using dog hair. I've never done any casting and have always tried to stay away form it. (Another vortex) Anyway, I'd like to help them out. I have access to a pressure tank and can get PR from Ed at Exoticblanks.

Has anyone done this before? Any suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Dave

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

GouletPens

If you've never done it before and you're doing it with a limited amount of material (the hair), you may want to have one of the more experienced casters on here do it for you. Ask Curtis, he cast a cat turd!:eek:

markgum

might try JohnU. He does pheasant feathers, and he is also in IL so close to you. His Pheasant Feather blanks are awesome.

JohnU

Ive never done any hair yet.... but if I were you, try a pour on some other hair first. I would suggest figuring out what type of pen you want to make then either paint the tube or wrap it with paper (glued to it) then blue the hair to it and cast. You wont use as much hair this way or have as much waste. You can pm if it you need any help. Ive had good luck with glueing things to tubes so let me know if you have questions.

rb765

I have a bag of my little buddies hair waiting for a similar project. Her mama was a chihuahua and her papa was a rolling stone. She past about six months ago at 16 1/2 years old. Not sure what kinda pen her hair would make because she was mostly tan, but I would like to give it try if anyone comes up with a good method of casting.

wudnhed

Golden Ret. is fairly long. I think JohnU's method sounds good using just a few strands of the hair and making an unusual design on the tube using a dark background color for contrast then casting in PR.

DurocShark

I'm thinking the best way would be using the method for stamp pens PSI has on YouTube. Glue and ModPodge, or glue and PR. Soak the hair in glue and apply to the tube. Then brush on more glue to level. Then build up a good layer of ModPodge or cast in PR.

That's where I would start. Do test blanks with less meaningful fur.

ssajn

Local Chapter Leader
Thanks

Thanks everyone for the help and guidance you've given me. I'll post pictures along with blow by blow details on how I accomplished this project when it's done.
Dave

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
I did a couple for a friend that lost his dog. I used some woodmaple(he was a stick dog) and turned them round and used hair as an inlay, they looked pretty good that way. I also had a paw print engraved on them.

jkeithrussell

I guess it's just me, but a dog hair pen seems pretty weird. Label-type casting of a color photo of the dog on a single barrel type pen would be less strange and would certainly look better. The folks you are dealing with might not know that such things are possible. You can even have a laser engraver etch the same image into the pen box.

GouletPens

I guess it's just me, but a dog hair pen seems pretty weird. Label-type casting of a color photo of the dog on a single barrel type pen would be less strange and would certainly look better. The folks you are dealing with might not know that such things are possible. You can even have a laser engraver etch the same image into the pen box.
Yeah I have to agree that it does seem pretty creepy. I'm NOT a pet person and I will never understand the infatuation that some people have with their pets. That being said, the customer is always right, but there are many ways to achieve the same goal. Maybe not casting dog hair IN the pen, but doing a label casting, laser etching, or something similar on the pen itself, and perhaps gluing or inlaying the hair into a pen box or something would be a little less wierd. I don't know. Even just thinking about that creeps me out a little. :eek:

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
Yeah I have to agree that it does seem pretty creepy. I'm NOT a pet person and I will never understand the infatuation that some people have with their pets. That being said, the customer is always right, but there are many ways to achieve the same goal. Maybe not casting dog hair IN the pen, but doing a label casting, laser etching, or something similar on the pen itself, and perhaps gluing or inlaying the hair into a pen box or something would be a little less wierd. I don't know. Even just thinking about that creeps me out a little. :eek:
It's not as bad as when people have their dead pets stuffed, that even creeps me out.

bitshird

Yeah I have to agree that it does seem pretty creepy. I'm NOT a pet person and I will never understand the infatuation that some people have with their pets. /QUOTE]

Brian, to really understand it you need to go for an early evening stroll through a prett rank neighborhood, like in South East L.A. with your wife walking a German Shepherd and yopu with a Red Doberman Pincer and watch the bangers get out of your way, it looks like the parting of the red sea., Ahh do I miss the city life [size=-6]hell no[/size] around here all the crack heads and Meth freaks want to let their kids pet the pretty doggies, little realizing that they are the reason we own 5 Shepherds

Attachments

• dead run.jpg
    dead run.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 174

GaryMadore

Brian, to really understand it you need to go for an early evening stroll through a prett rank neighborhood, like in South East L.A. with your wife walking a German Shepherd and yopu with a Red Doberman Pincer and watch the bangers get out of your way, it looks like the parting of the red sea

I know what you mean.

I had just moved and was staying in a suite downtown while house shopping, and brought my dog up with me.

I went out for dinner one night and happened to be wearing black Levis, black cowboy boots, a black Dockers shirt, and a below-the-knee length black leather coat (think Johnny Cash meets Keannu Reeves, but fatter and uglier...)

When I came back to the suite I took my dog out for a night-time walk through downtown, still dressed as I was for dinner. For some reason, all the panhandlers, drunks, psychos, and addicts couldn't get out of our way fast enough

My mutt:

1_WallyConroyFS.jpg

http://www.penturners.org/photos/images/3502/1_WallyConroyFS.jpg

Funny thing is that he'd never hurt a fly... He doesn't know he's a Rottie - I think they forgot to tell him when he was born. I often joke that if someone ever broke into my house, Wally would show them the fridge and offer to split everything 50/50.

:)

Cheers!

Gary

Last edited:

GouletPens

Yeah I have to agree that it does seem pretty creepy. I'm NOT a pet person and I will never understand the infatuation that some people have with their pets. /QUOTE]

Brian, to really understand it you need to go for an early evening stroll through a prett rank neighborhood, like in South East L.A. with your wife walking a German Shepherd and yopu with a Red Doberman Pincer and watch the bangers get out of your way, it looks like the parting of the red sea., Ahh do I miss the city life [SIZE=-6]hell no[/SIZE] around here all the crack heads and Meth freaks want to let their kids pet the pretty doggies, little realizing that they are the reason we own 5 Shepherds
Yikes, sounds to me like you need to move!! No, I don't know what you're talking about. I live in the country with deer grazing 30 feet from my house. I could walk for a mile and not come across another person.

markgum

Yikes, sounds to me like you need to move!! No, I don't know what you're talking about. I live in the country with deer grazing 30 feet from my house. I could walk for a mile and not come across another person.

I wouldn't advertise that to much. I am tired of the city life and having neighbors complain about a saw running at 9 in the morning.... I'm looking to move...

jkeithrussell

Funny thing is that he'd never hurt a fly... He doesn't know he's a Rottie - I think they forgot to tell him when he was born.

That's what people always say after their Rottie mauls someone's kid.

Edit to add: Gary, I'm sorry if my post implies that you would allow something like to happen with your dog. I only meant to make a general observation. Reading back over the post, I was afraid it sounded too pointed and it's not my intent to insult you.

Last edited:

Stevej72

I cast some of my Golden Retrievers hair. It turned out OK, but in my opinion I should have used more hair and/or painted the tubes. I'll try and put up a picture.

ssajn

Local Chapter Leader
I guess it's just me, but a dog hair pen seems pretty weird. Label-type casting of a color photo of the dog on a single barrel type pen would be less strange and would certainly look better.

I couldn't agree more. Seems a little strange to me too.
So far I've made several blanks but only like one or two of them. Today I cast three of them in PR and will look at them tomorrow. This was my first attempt at casting. If I don't like them I'll see if they want me to make a pen using a photo.

A big thanks to Ed and Dawn. Ed went out of his way to make sure I got PR to use and Dawn was kind enough to walk me thru a problem over the phone.

Hopefully I'll be able to turn one of my blanks tomorrow and will be able to post a picture.
Dave

GaryMadore

That's what people always say after their Rottie mauls someone's kid.

Edit to add: Gary, I'm sorry if my post implies that you would allow something like to happen with your dog. I only meant to make a general observation. Reading back over the post, I was afraid it sounded too pointed and it's not my intent to insult you.

No harm, no foul. And I know what the facts are and so am largely unaffected (but often frustrated) by myths and predjudice. You'd be surprised at what the most dangerous dog to children is ;)

Cheers!

Gary

ssajn

Local Chapter Leader
I couldn't agree more. Seems a little strange to me too.
So far I've made several blanks but only like one or two of them. Today I cast three of them in PR and will look at them tomorrow. This was my first attempt at casting. If I don't like them I'll see if they want me to make a pen using a photo.

A big thanks to Ed and Dawn. Ed went out of his way to make sure I got PR to use and Dawn was kind enough to walk me thru a problem over the phone.

Hopefully I'll be able to turn one of my blanks tomorrow and will be able to post a picture.
Dave

Well the pen is done. I turned all the blanks I cast and used the one I liked best even though I didn't like it. The hair almost disappeared when cast. I offered to make another pen using a picture but he insisted on seeing what I had. I showed it to him and he loved it. He really liked the fact that I was able to add the rainbow he wanted.

Thanks for all the tips and suggestions but I think I'll leave casting to Dawn, at least until the next time.
Dave

Attachments

• dog hair.jpg
    dog hair.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 251

LabTrnr

The pen looks good even though I can't see the dog hair in it, the rainbow part turned out nice. As long as the customer is happy it's all good.

Smokey7385

No harm, no foul. And I know what the facts are and so am largely unaffected (but often frustrated) by myths and predjudice. You'd be surprised at what the most dangerous dog to children is ;)

Cheers!

Gary

It's the Cocker Spaniel. Got nailed by two different ones as a kid. Both times I was told it was my fault even though I did not touch or even approach either one of them. The reason, I'm told, that they are the most dangerous is because they are (or at one time were) the most common dog. I had four Cockers growing up.

GaryMadore

It's the Cocker Spaniel. Got nailed by two different ones as a kid. Both times I was told it was my fault even though I did not touch or even approach either one of them. The reason, I'm told, that they are the most dangerous is because they are (or at one time were) the most common dog. I had four Cockers growing up.

Right you are!

They are owned by Grandmas who treat them like royalty and don't train them. Grandkids are crawling around on the floor and come face-to-face with a territorial dog with no social skills whatsoever - SNAP! It's time for li'l Johnny to go to the emergency room.

OP - I REALLY like what you did with the rainbow (allusion to the Rainbow Bridge, I assume) nice work, and an inspiration.

Cheers!

Gary

glycerine

Well the pen is done. I turned all the blanks I cast and used the one I liked best even though I didn't like it. The hair almost disappeared when cast. I offered to make another pen using a picture but he insisted on seeing what I had. I showed it to him and he loved it. He really liked the fact that I was able to add the rainbow he wanted.

Thanks for all the tips and suggestions but I think I'll leave casting to Dawn, at least until the next time.
Dave

So how did you end up attaching the hair to the blank before casting it. Did you glue it? I'm wanting to do the same thing with human hair. I started trying to glue some to a pen tube a while back with super glue, but it got really messy and I screwed it up, so I took a break. I'd really like to do this though.

ssajn

Local Chapter Leader
So how did you end up attaching the hair to the blank before casting it. Did you glue it? I'm wanting to do the same thing with human hair. I started trying to glue some to a pen tube a while back with super glue, but it got really messy and I screwed it up, so I took a break. I'd really like to do this though.

First thing I did was glue the brass tube in a piece of walnut and turned it down as thin as possible to use as a base. Then I glued small "clumps" of hair to the tube using CA using as little ca as possible. The reason I did this is because the ca seemed to make the hair disappear. I then put the wrappings on for the rainbow. I cast it in PR but before mixing it I brushed the blanks with PR without the catalyst. Then into the pot.

Dave

glycerine

First thing I did was glue the brass tube in a piece of walnut and turned it down as thin as possible to use as a base. Then I glued small "clumps" of hair to the tube using CA using as little ca as possible. The reason I did this is because the ca seemed to make the hair disappear. I then put the wrappings on for the rainbow. I cast it in PR but before mixing it I brushed the blanks with PR without the catalyst. Then into the pot.

Dave

Ok, thanks. I have a longer lock of hair, so I'm wanting to glue it on lengthwise, so it looks almost looks like wood grain.

ssajn

Local Chapter Leader
Ok, thanks. I have a longer lock of hair, so I'm wanting to glue it on lengthwise, so it looks almost looks like wood grain.

That's what I did with mine. The hair was a little over an inch long. I'd like to try doing it again but it may be a while.

Let us kow how it turns out.
Dav

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
It's not as bad as when people have their dead pets stuffed, that even creeps me out.

Hey, I thought it was a GREAT surprise gift for your birthday party.
How was I to know that they had fed you that old "gone to live on a
farm' story?

I'm not sure about casting the hair, either. Seems to me that the suggestion
about casting a photo of the dog and perhaps putting a lock of the hair in
a nice engraved pen box might accomplish the same thing, yet be more
aesthetically pleasing. Or I could be wrong. :redface:

Top Bottom