Does anyone remember the "wheat" penny?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skie_M

I have about 14 of em on a shelf sitting next to a real buffalo nickel and some 99.999% pure silver dollars (walking liberty) ...

Jim Smith

When I was a young kid my mother would invite us to play Penny Ante poker with her as a form of entertainment. We each had to bring our own pennies and she played for keeps. Even at 4-5 years old, I knew that if I lost a hand of poker to her, I lost my pennies. I started collecting my pennies so I would be able to play in the games with my older siblings and mom. I still have about 1000 of the old wheat back pennies in a crock jar. I still find one or two a year and toss them in. I also have a large jar with about $150 worth of the newer pennies that I just keep around. A few weeks back, we kept three of our grandsons for a week, so I pulled out the penny jar and we had a blast. My son even joined in and it was loads of fun teasing and bluffing and laughing when someone bet heavy on a nothing hand. The kids also had a blast so I gave them 100 pennies each so they could play together at home. I never gamble for real. I've been to Vegas a dozen times and have yet to so much as drop a quarter in a slot machine, but Penny Ante poker with the grand kids, now that's fun.

Jim Smith

ttpenman

Still have some steel pennies fro WWII. My Mother kept them in a sugar bowl up on a shelf. Hate to say it but I know I took a few back in the days of penny candy. Been awhile since I checked to see if they have any value.

I have to admit I didn't even notice the new back on the penny. How long has it been like that? Always been talk about getting rid of the penny that cost more to make than it's worth. Wonder if it will ever happen. IIRC Canada got rid of theirs.

Jeff in northern Wisconsin

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I have about 14 of em on a shelf sitting next to a real buffalo nickel and some 99.999% pure silver dollars (walking liberty) ...
They would be Silver Eagles....and you are close they are 99.93% pure. Depending on the year of issue they could be quite valuable.

triw51

I remember collecting them when in grade school. When I was in Jr. High I had a paper route in Jerome and collected mercury head dimes. Also remember the lunch lady letting us run a magnet the coin box to find the steel ones.

Wish I still had my jar of mercury head dimes.

jttheclockman

All you people that have these, you could be sitting on some coin (no pun intended) 1909S VDB, 1943 copper can bring serious money. So do not be too quick to toss them away.

vtgaryw

I still pull them out of circulation from time to time.

I remember about 30 years ago or so, I worked with this nerdy sort (not that I'm not...) who said that for fun him and his father would go to the bank and get a bunch of pennies, then sit there watching TV sorting them for the wheat pennies. At the time, there were still quite a few in circulation, but they were selling in bulk from dealers for $ .02 apiece. Their theory was they were going to at least double their money.

True, but I wonder what they ended up making as an hourly rate.... probably about as much as a pen turner... :)

-gary

ps - I was just telling my wife the other day that I *hate* the back on the new penny. Really ugly, whereas the Lincoln Memorial was just classy.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I still pull them out of circulation from time to time.

I remember about 30 years ago or so, I worked with this nerdy sort (not that I'm not...) who said that for fun him and his father would go to the bank and get a bunch of pennies, then sit there watching TV sorting them for the wheat pennies. At the time, there were still quite a few in circulation, but they were selling in bulk from dealers for $ .02 apiece. Their theory was they were going to at least double their money.

True, but I wonder what they ended up making as an hourly rate.... probably about as much as a pen turner... :)

-gary

ps - I was just telling my wife the other day that I *hate* the back on the new penny. Really ugly, whereas the Lincoln Memorial was just classy.
I got $50 bags of loose pennies from the bank in the sixties and sorted through them for specific dates. I made a lot of money picking out any one that was worth more than a penny wholesale. - I'd hold them until I had a bunch of rolls then take them to a dealer. I also found individual coins worth up to $175 (then year dollars) and bunches worth a dollar or two.

sbwertz

Still have some steel pennies fro WWII. My Mother kept them in a sugar bowl up on a shelf. Hate to say it but I know I took a few back in the days of penny candy. Been awhile since I checked to see if they have any value.

I have to admit I didn't even notice the new back on the penny. How long has it been like that? Always been talk about getting rid of the penny that cost more to make than it's worth. Wonder if it will ever happen. IIRC Canada got rid of theirs.

The steel pennies are from 1943. Since that was my birth year, I always kept them when I found them.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam

The steel pennies are from 1943. Since that was my birth year, I always kept them when I found them.
They also changed nickels to have 40% (maybe 35%) silver from mid 1942 thru 1945 because nickel was in short supply and needed. One Cent Coins were also struck in 1944 from recycled brass recovered from artillery shells and it had a little different composition than the usual copper cents.

TonyL

I only remember the wheat penny (feathers on the back?). I haven't looked at a coin in 40 years. I need to start looking. :)

Skie_M

Hmm .... went back to look at my coins, as I was sure at least one of them said 99.999% pure, Macedonian Grade, 1 Troy Oz.

I was right, it did say that .... but it's not a US coin, lol. It's a pure silver 1 oz mint bar. I got some of these in some carnival games as a kid ... they were worth about 5 bucks each back then. They're sitting next to my walking liberty coins, so I got em kinda mixed up in my head.

I'm still in the middle of making stands for some of them, for display... I'll have to come back with some pics when they're done. :)

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Hmm .... went back to look at my coins, as I was sure at least one of them said 99.999% pure, Macedonian Grade, 1 Troy Oz.

I was right, it did say that .... but it's not a US coin, lol. It's a pure silver 1 oz mint bar. I got some of these in some carnival games as a kid ... they were worth about 5 bucks each back then. They're sitting next to my walking liberty coins, so I got em kinda mixed up in my head.

I'm still in the middle of making stands for some of them, for display... I'll have to come back with some pics when they're done. :)
Most silver coins struck by the US Mint have no more than 90% silver. Those intended for circulation would wear out too fast if it was more than that.

randyrls

I was just telling my wife the other day that I *hate* the back on the new penny. Really ugly, whereas the Lincoln Memorial was just classy.

Here is a trivia question. Is Abraham Lincoln on both sides of the 1990 penny?

Yes, If you look at the Lincoln Memorial on the back of the penny, you can see Abe sitting in the middle!

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
We don't have pennies anymore - but most people don't use cash anymore either.

Interac is the payment that I see most people using (direct withdrawl from your bank account, using a chip and pin technology).

They charge to the penny if you're using direct payment, and round to the nearest nickle if you're paying cash.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam

Interac is the payment that I see most people using (direct withdrawl from your bank account, using a chip and pin technology).

They charge to the penny if you're using direct payment, and round to the nearest nickle if you're paying cash.
Life takes strange paths - when I was a child, virtually the only way you could spend money in most stores was cash. They would not even accept checks unless they knew you very well. This was pretty much the way things were until I was an adult. Most mom and pop grocery stores would give regular customers credit. They would keep track with a receipt book with the customer's name on it.

Then the big grocery stores started coming along but were cash only for a long time before they (in the late 60s or early 70s) even began accepting checks.

Again toward the late 60s the gasoline companies that were vertically integrated and owned the gas stations started putting out credit cards but you had to have a different one for every brand.

Finally the bank credit cards and company credit cards began to flood the market and along came Carte Blanc, American Express, at first used mainly by business people and had to be paid off at the end of the month. Visa and Master Card changed all that and it has not gotten to where if a company does not accept them they have a tough time staying in business.

I can almost foresee a time when (and they'll tell us it is to end 'drug dealing' and 'terrorist financing' when we won't be allowed to use cash at all. Making a large purchase with cash now will attract "attention" from police and many stores will not accept a bill larger than a $20.

Skie_M

It's already to the point where I can just sign up for paypal and get access to a card reader and app for free .... :bulgy-eyes:

vtgaryw

Life takes strange paths - when I was a child, virtually the only way you could spend money in most stores was cash. They would not even accept checks unless they knew you very well. This was pretty much the way things were until I was an adult. Most mom and pop grocery stores would give regular customers credit. They would keep track with a receipt book with the customer's name on it.

Then the big grocery stores started coming along but were cash only for a long time before they (in the late 60s or early 70s) even began accepting checks.

Again toward the late 60s the gasoline companies that were vertically integrated and owned the gas stations started putting out credit cards but you had to have a different one for every brand.

Finally the bank credit cards and company credit cards began to flood the market and along came Carte Blanc, American Express, at first used mainly by business people and had to be paid off at the end of the month. Visa and Master Card changed all that and it has not gotten to where if a company does not accept them they have a tough time staying in business.

I can almost foresee a time when (and they'll tell us it is to end 'drug dealing' and 'terrorist financing' when we won't be allowed to use cash at all. Making a large purchase with cash now will attract "attention" from police and many stores will not accept a bill larger than a $20.

A few years back, debit cards were just starting to be widely used, I was in my local bagel shop. Kid in front of me was paying for a dollar or so cup of coffee with a debit card. The store owner was running the register, and I made a comment about what a pain it was and how slow. His response to me was that if he could get away with it, he'd only accept debit cards. When I asked him why, he said that his employees couldn't rip him off that way.

Used to have a bar near me where the only camera in the place was on the ceiling pointing directly down at the register drawer. Not a very trusting owner. OK, the place was a true dive...

-gary

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
All you people that have these, you could be sitting on some coin (no pun intended) 1909S VDB, 1943 copper can bring serious money. So do not be too quick to toss them away.

In the 1960's I would get rolls of pennies to fill my collection. I have one of everything (I think) EXCEPT the 1909S VDB. Victor D. Brenner? I looked at a LOT of coins and never could find him. Somewhere I have a jar of wartime pennies, they were not copper.

Cheap hobby!

jttheclockman

In the 1960's I would get rolls of pennies to fill my collection. I have one of everything (I think) EXCEPT the 1909S VDB. Victor D. Brenner? I looked at a LOT of coins and never could find him. Somewhere I have a jar of wartime pennies, they were not copper.

Cheap hobby!

A cheap hobby in some ways. If you become a collector it can become an expensive hobby. Ed if you have a real 1943 copper you have some cash.($50,000 and up) (There is about 15 known to exist.) If you have one that is Bronze, lets say you are a millionaire. There are many examples of other wheat pennies that are worth money especially if they have flaws such as double die struck. Worn out die struck, and of course as always condition is every thing. That 1909S VDB s worth anywhere from $1000 to $3000 depending on condition. The zinc over steel war pennies range from .05 to $8 again depending on condition and if there are flaws much more.

Now of course like anything involving money there are many fakes so beware

Of course we are just talking Wheat pennies here but coin collecting can be a lucrative hobby and an interesting one. Market value on coins change too.

I personally do not like any of the new coins and that includes the state coins. They all look and feel fake.

Paper money is another avenue to collectors that can be lucrative.

Happy collecting.

Last edited:

Magicbob

I collect wallet size photos of dead presidents. In fact I got one yesterday at McDonalds.
Now I have 3 George Washingtons and a Lincoln.

Some guy tried to trade me a Ben Franklin for 5 Andy Jacksons, but I said NO WAY, Ben was not a president.....some people.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I collect wallet size photos of dead presidents. In fact I got one yesterday at McDonalds.
Now I have 3 George Washingtons and a Lincoln.

Some guy tried to trade me a Ben Franklin for 5 Andy Jacksons, but I said NO WAY, Ben was not a president.....some people.
Guess you wouldn't take 5 Hamiltons for a Grant then either....

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam

Cheap hobby!

A cheap hobby in some ways. If you become a collector it can become an expensive hobby. Ed if you have a real 1943 copper you have some cash.($50,000 and up) (There is about 15 known to exist.) If you have one that is Bronze, lets say you are a millionaire. There are many examples of other wheat pennies that are worth money especially if they have flaws such as double die struck. Worn out die struck, and of course as always condition is every thing. That 1909S VDB s worth anywhere from $1000 to $3000 depending on condition. The zinc over steel war pennies range from .05 to $8 again depending on condition and if there are flaws much more.

Now of course like anything involving money there are many fakes so beware

Of course we are just talking Wheat pennies here but coin collecting can be a lucrative hobby and an interesting one. Market value on coins change too.

I personally do not like any of the new coins and that includes the state coins. They all look and feel fake.

Paper money is another avenue to collectors that can be lucrative.

Happy collecting.
Tons of the 1943 zinc pennies have been replated....originals still in pristine condition are worth a bit more. The pennies in 1944/45 were made from recycled brass from artillery shells and had a sligtly different formula than normal. Something similar happened for some years in the 80s when the copper content was reduced a bit. I did own a 1909S vdb which I had to buy (it was the only cent that I bought in my collection, I stopped collecting about 1970 and sold my colledtions a few years later.

TimS124

I still watch for the wheat pennies and tuck them away in a drawer. Silver dimes and silver quarters show up once in a while as well. They make a slightly different sound when the change gets poured into your hand...

Gin N' Tonic

THEY ARE NOT PENNIES!!!!!!

I don't remember wheat pennies and I have been a coin collector since I was 7 years old! OTOH, I have several thousand WHEAT CENTS (the correct numismatic term), Matter of face I have every Lincoln cent minted since 1909 with the exception of a 43 copper and a 44 steel and some of the double dies and error cents. I do have the "Big 5", 1909-S V.D.B , 1909-S , 1914-D , 1931-S and the 1920 Plain. I also have a pretty good collection of Half Cents, Large Cents , Flying Eagle Cents , Indian Cents , Two Cent & Three Cent pieces. Coin collecting is my first vice, with amateur radio becoming my second. Sadly, I've had to put penturning on the back burner due to medical issues but I hope to revisit this hobby when and if things get better.

Sorry for the rant. :biggrin:

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I don't remember wheat pennies and I have been a coin collector since I was 7 years old! OTOH, I have several thousand WHEAT CENTS (the correct numismatic term), Matter of face I have every Lincoln cent minted since 1909 with the exception of a 43 copper and a 44 steel and some of the double dies and error cents. I do have the "Big 5", 1909-S V.D.B , 1909-S , 1914-D , 1931-S and the 1920 Plain. I also have a pretty good collection of Half Cents, Large Cents , Flying Eagle Cents , Indian Cents , Two Cent & Three Cent pieces. Coin collecting is my first vice, with amateur radio becoming my second. Sadly, I've had to put penturning on the back burner due to medical issues but I hope to revisit this hobby when and if things get better.

That would be 1922 plain ... which btw is a mint error just like the double dies etc. All 1922 cents were struck at the Denver mint, some the mint mark took poorly and some it really didn't take at all.

Gin N' Tonic

That would be 1922 plain ... which btw is a mint error just like the double dies etc. All 1922 cents were struck at the Denver mint, some the mint mark took poorly and some it really didn't take at all.

You are correct, It was an error in my typing. The 1922 was only minted in Denver. There is actually 7 different varieties of which I have 6.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam

You are correct, It was an error in my typing. The 1922 was only minted in Denver. There is actually 7 different varieties of which I have 6.
I think that was the first mint error to be included in the general collections---as I recall in my set which I started in 1962 and had for around 15 years only that and the 1955 double strike error were included in the "general" collection. One of my early Lincoln cents was a 1913 that was struck on an incorrect platen and was more of a brass color than the normal copper.

Top Bottom