Does anyone do lapidary work?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Brooks803

I got into it around 15yrs ago in my teenage years. Well recently I got the bug to give it a go again. Got my old machine out of storage and am currently waiting on new belts and various supplies. So I was curious if anyone else here does lapidary work. I did some cabochons but mainly I tried making stone crosses and necklace charms. I did OK at it. Now I'm gonna see what I can do to apply it to my pen making. Time will tell...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

stonepecker

Yes, Started over 35 years ago. Lost interest when the family started comming.

Been thinking on some stone and wood combos. What have you been thinking?

Ed McDonnell

I thought this would be something really interesting to explore. All we have in South Florida is limestone (old coral reef) so I would have to buy gemstones / rocks. When I saw the prices of semiprecious stones I decided to explore other things. Talking to some old timers I know, I guess prices have exploded in recent years.

Ed

penmaker56

Jon, I was/am a lapidary, facetor, goldsmith since my teenage years, but my 3 lapidary machines have been sitting idle on the shelf collecting dust for years now.

redbulldog

My wife and I were involved several years ago. I just 2 months ago passed 2 machines and all the rest of my supplies that had been sitting since starting to use a lathe again, to my son in Texas to have as he was always interested in making cabs, and especially working with opal and fire agate. Both very unforgiving with a very small mistake!
add comment.

The lapidary work was never as gratifying as the lathe work for me.

Last edited:

stonepecker

I also do bead work with the daughter. We use "Fire Mountain Gems" out of OR to get ideas and find certain things when we don't find them locally.

Chasper

I do some lapidary work, mostly cabs. I've spent a lot of time rock hounding. I came to this forum years ago looking for ways to combine lapidary with pen making. I have made a few stone finials. I have been talking about buying a lapidary lathe for years, still looking. Diamond Pacific sells a nice one.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I do some lapidary work, mostly cabs. I've spent a lot of time rock hounding. I came to this forum years ago looking for ways to combine lapidary with pen making. I have made a few stone finials. I have been talking about buying a lapidary lathe for years, still looking. Diamond Pacific sells a nice one.
My wife dabbles in it from time to time, but right now another project is occupying her space. She also is close to a beach where polished pebbles are not hard to find.

Brooks803

Janet is waiting on you and that machine to be up and running.

Still waiting on the parts. Tell her not to worry. I've got her Ankh lined up with a cool piece of jasper I have. Just gotta get things running again...plus practice!

Yes, Started over 35 years ago. Lost interest when the family started comming.

Been thinking on some stone and wood combos. What have you been thinking?

Mostly starting out with some stone finials. Once I get back in the flow of things I'm wanting to take a bangle core and do a mosaic of stones in it.

Jon, I was/am a lapidary, facetor, goldsmith since my teenage years, but my 3 lapidary machines have been sitting idle on the shelf collecting dust for years now.

Wow Richard. You sure have your hands in a bit of everything. Now I know who to call when I run into an issue! :biggrin:

My wife and I were involved several years ago. I just 2 months ago passed 2 machines and all the rest of my supplies that had been sitting since starting to use a lathe again, to my son in Texas to have as he was always interested in making cabs, and especially working with opal and fire agate. Both very unforgiving with a very small mistake!
add comment.

The lapidary work was never as gratifying as the lathe work for me.

That's great that your son wanted to give it a go. Yeah Opal and Fire Agate are not easy to work with. I've destroyed a few pieces myself. I'm hoping once I finish a few projects that the end result will keep me going further on. I'm not looking to get anywhere with it business wise. Just something fun to do.

Top Bottom