Do we have kaleidascope makers here?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Harris

Harris

I'm thinking of turning some kaleidoscopes and am curious if we have anyone doing them here on the forum. Any info is appreciated.

Harris

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Drill a hole, turn to shape, make object chamber, add, put in mirrors (front surface), close end (cover hole with clear something) All set.

Now, if you have more SPECIFIC things you would like to know, happy to try to help. Whadja need??

KenV

For small kits sold by pen vendors start with the photo tutorial by Ed Davidson. After going through the picture tutorial, most of the ordinary questions should be answered. That is available at Arizona Shillhouette and other places.

Length is pretty critical -- most anything else is open to options.

Craft Supply USA has parts for larger and longer ones -- and then there is the truly custom options.

GoodTurns

I have made about a dozen of the kit ones, but do not consider myself a kaleidoscope maker....if you are aiming for the folks who are not just looking for a toy for the kids, it is a whole new ballgame!

RDH79

I make the wand ones. I sell a couple every show. It also holds the people at my table a little longer while they look. I get my kits from Penn State or Wood Whimze. Made 4 egg ones and have only sold 1 in the last 2 yrs.

KenBrasier

We've sold over a dozen PSI Kit Kaleidascopes at our last 3 Craft Shows and only 4 or 5 of the Egg Type. They attract and hold a lot of people at out booth. They are easy to make.

What really went over good for us, were ones that I made out of limbs. I cut off sections of limb [cedar, walnut, cherry, even some grape vine], drilled, then turned them leaving some of the bark on for accent. These I had to finish with several coats of lacquer. May sound strange, but those of us in the Missouri Ozarks have well defined taste....LOL

LEAP

I've made a few, bought the shell filled oil chamber kit from craft supplies for my first one. easy way to get started. Been buying the front surface mirror precut on ebay. they are a lot of fun to make and the design possabilities are endless. www.brewstersociety.com is a good place to learn about and see some of the possabilities.

jduxbur

Thank you Bill,

I do have a DVD and plans for four different models of Kaleidoscopes. Many have made them, most do the Traditional Model to start with. That is what the DVD explains in step by step segments. I make everything. All I buy is the first surface mirror --- which is expensive and hard to cut. The Kaleidoscopes are shown on www.duxterity.com/ec and the DVD is on www.duxterity.com/dvd

More can be seen on www.flickr.com and do a search on dexterity. Half my life is on there. Also while you are on there you can do a search on Kaleidoscopes. There is a ton of stuff in there. Maybe too much.

Hope this helps. I would be glad to answer any questions on scopes if that would help.

Jim Duxbury

Top Bottom