Do-n Goblets?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from theartist07

theartist07

Well here is my first try at goblets and such, comments always welcome.

Jim

Attachments

• 100_2723.jpg
    100_2723.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 419
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

theartist07

thanks everyone, here is another i just finished. I 'm going to put salad bowl finish on the inside to waterproof it. I've asked all around about the inside finish and can't really get a definite answer on what to use. I ordered the salad bowl finish and it takes about three coats, waiting 72 hours between coats. I hope this will work because i have a customer wanting a pair of each. All comments are welcome, especially on the finish part.

Thanks,
Jim

Attachments

• 100_2770.jpg
    100_2770.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 151
thanks everyone, here is another i just finished. I 'm going to put salad bowl finish on the inside to waterproof it. I've asked all around about the inside finish and can't really get a definite answer on what to use. I ordered the salad bowl finish and it takes about three coats, waiting 72 hours between coats. I hope this will work because i have a customer wanting a pair of each. All comments are welcome, especially on the finish part.

Thanks,
Jim

Jim,
I responded on the first picture without scrolling down to the next... love the spalted maple.... you know the salad bowl finish will work... it takes about 3-4 weeks for the finish to really cure and harden, but should accomplish the same as the finish you and I have been discussin in PM's .

What tool are you using to hollow? I recently picked up a "termite" tool that works really well on the inside of goblets.... it'll be a another week before I feel comfortable going back to the shop after my little bout with the strangulated hernia.. but can't wait...getting withdrawal symptoms already .

theartist07

well if i told you, a large parting tool; what would you say? I did use a Sorby Multi-Tip Shear Scraper. First i bore the inside then shape it and hollow out.

Good luck with the strangulated hernia, i know thats gotta be drag. Thanks for all the replies .

Jim

Last edited:

W.Y.

Jim.
I just now noticed this thread and I must say you are doing some very nice turning there on those goblets.
Keep up the great work.

W.Y.

thank you very much, but looking at your work tells me i have to do more! Any thoughts on my finish idea?

Jim

I have a lot to learn when viewing the shape of your goblets.

As far as finish goes I have never had a customer say they were going to actually use the goblets for drinking from. They are primarily wood art and conversation pieces .

The ones with captive rings are often sold as wedding gifts with the two rings symbolizing the union between two people.

Sometimes I will make them with intertwined rings for the same reason..

I just use lacquer on mine because it is quick and easy and buffs beautifully after about 24 to 48 hours curing time but I have heard that some use several coats of polyurethane on the inside if it is going to be used for liquid.

theartist07

Thank you William for the kind words. I think i'll do the salad bowl finish tomorrow. I'm trying to get ready for the Wooly Worm Festivial in Banner Elk,N.C. , it'll be the last one this year for me.

Have a good night,
Later,
Jim

Rcd567

Wow, just wow. I need to get going on my wood stuff. Been a long summer. Finally finishing up on the yard/property stuff and can get back into the shop.

Top Bottom